Data Connectivity
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2005 and Newer : Data Connectivity
Message Icon Topic: Parameter fields don't show up on the report Post Reply Post New Topic
Roman

Online Status: Offline
Quote Roman Replybullet Topic: Parameter fields don't show up on the report
    Posted: 03 Jul 2007 at 6:24am

Hi allConfused,

We upgraded our development platform from VS 2003 to VS 2005 and one of the components which uses crystal report. One issue we can not resolve so far is the parameter fields which are inserted into the reports don't show up (empty) when reports are converted into PDF files.

Thanks a lot,

Roman

IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 03 Jul 2007 at 10:00am
Unfortunately, I haven't seen that. As another idea, what if you use formulas instead and then you can populate the formula from the app. Will that show up on your report? Also, I would make a dummy report in VS 2005 with a single parameter in it and see if that works. When upgrading to 2005 it's possible that there may have been something corrupted in the report file. Doing a new report with a single parameter would test if that is the case or if its a bug with CR 2005.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
Roman

Quote Roman Replybullet Posted: 03 Jul 2007 at 10:32am
Brain,
thanks for you reply(and for your excellent book.We are using most of the functionality in vs.net  2003)
I created a dummy report in vs 2005 based on the same sp procedure.
It has 4 input params.( two - datetime, two - string), than I dragged the param fileds in the report (tried different sections). The output is filtered fine
based on the supplied params, but no params visible on the report.
I can test with one singe parameter, not sure if it will change anything.
Another silly solution is to add the parameters to the select part of the stored procedure(that is what i did for the time being) and then diplay them.
Is the formaula solution more elegant ? Not sue how to populate yet.

thank you very much,
Roman

IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 03 Jul 2007 at 11:18am
I'm confused now. All you are doing is dropping the parameter fields onto the report and they aren't being displayed in the PDF? But then you say you add the parameters to the select part of the SP and now they are displayed? Do you mean that since they are in the SELECT portion then they are now listed as a field in the Field Explorer and you drop the fields onto the report (not the parameter field). Is this what is going on?

Also, the point of creating a new report with a single parameter is to test whether your current report is corrupted or whether this is a bug in CR 2005. If it is a bug in CR, then I would report it to BOBJ and also check if there is a service pack that fixes it.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
Roman

Quote Roman Replybullet Posted: 03 Jul 2007 at 12:23pm
"All you are doing is dropping the parameter fields onto the report and they aren't being displayed in the PDF? " - yes, exactly.

"But then you say you add the parameters to the select part of the SP and now they are displayed? Do you mean that since they are in the SELECT portion then they are now listed as a field in the Field Explorer and you drop the fields onto the report (not the parameter field). "  - absolutely right
Just wanted to make it work somehow and this is why I put them in the SELECT part.

I just ran a dammy report with a single parameter dropped on the report and it's not being displaed in the PDF.

Is the formula solution might help in this case  as a temp workround? (like an example in your book : MyReport.DataDefinition.FormulaFields("CustomerID").Text = "999"). I can probably set the parameters into the formula fields and see if it works than adding them in the SELECT.

thanks again,
Roman

IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 03 Jul 2007 at 12:34pm
Thanks for the idea on the formula solution. I printed this post out and will test it. If it is a bug I'll report it to the VS 2005 product mgr so they can work on it. If you could email me a tiny app with the dummy report using Xtreme.mdb, then that would speed things for (I have a stack of work sitting next to me and have limited time for tracking these things down). 
IP IP Logged
Roman

Quote Roman Replybullet Posted: 03 Jul 2007 at 2:15pm
Brain,

I have to thank YOU for the formula idea. It will serve us well for the time being.
I'm using SQL Server... Do you want me to put it in Access ?
This was really dumb stored proc with one parameter and simple select.
I'm curious if it happens on your machine, because in our group it's a consistent problem.

Roman

IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 03 Jul 2007 at 2:50pm
Well, I'm glad the idea helped. Actually, it should stay in SQL Server. You could just make a dummy table with one field and two rows and then I'll make the same on my server and point the report to it.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version