Data Connectivity
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2005 and Newer : Data Connectivity
Message Icon Topic: Cannot See Data Source Object in Database Expert Post Reply Post New Topic
tehhz

Online Status: Offline
Quote tehhz Replybullet Topic: Cannot See Data Source Object in Database Expert
    Posted: 29 May 2007 at 8:23pm
Hi all,

Forgive me if my post is too long. (this is my first post)

I have a problem using Data Source Objects as .NET objects in other projects under Visual Studio 2005.

Assuming all required classes are compiled as DLL and imported into projects successfully.

I have a Project called Bank.UC. Inside this project, it contains many classes like Account, Employees, etc. This class is linked to Bank.DC, that deals with connecting to SQL Server 2005 database to fetch the data. All the data is filled into DataSet and returned as DataSet. (Assuming no errors when connecting the database and retrieving the required data.) When it comes back to Bank.UC, the objects would get its data from DC and return as class objects.

Then I created another project called Reports and added Bank.UC into Data Source. I was able to see the Bank.UC and its classes and variables associated with classes. For example:

Bank.UC (Class Library)
-> Account (Class name created in Bank.UC)
  -> Name (variable)
  -> AccountNo (variable)
  -> Value (variable)

However, I was not able to drag the variables into my created Crystal Report. The Bank.UC object is also not visible under .NET Objects in Database Expert under Field Explorer. The project to view the Crystal Report is of Windows Application.

I also do not want Crystal Report to prompt for login particulars as all database connection information and login information is stored in App.config.

Any solutions to this problem is greatly appreciated.

Brian Teh.

IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 30 May 2007 at 4:49pm
This is because Bank.UC is an object.  Crystal is expecting a DataSource.  So, you would probably need to link to Bank.DC.  Another option might be to serialize your Bank.UC object and report off of the XML - I haven't done this, so I don't know for sure if it will get you what you need.

-Dell
IP IP Logged
ybritol

Quote ybritol Replybullet Posted: 19 Aug 2009 at 10:29am
Hi Brian,

I am having I think the same problem.
I have a DLL with contains all my entities, but the Database Expert is not showing the objects.

Did you find any solution to your problem?

If so, can you give me a hint?

Thank you so much.

Yandy
Yandy
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version