Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2005 and Newer : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Dividing text from a database field into columns Post Reply Post New Topic
DreamState

Online Status: Offline
Quote DreamState Replybullet Topic: Dividing text from a database field into columns
    Posted: 13 Mar 2007 at 1:24pm
Hi,

I really hope someone may have an idea of how to do this as I have been googling most of the day to no avail!!!

I thought I was a seasoned user of CR and all its little eccentricities but I cannot work out how to do this one!

I have a set sized report (in this case it prints onto A5). It has to be this size (I limit the input size of fields from within my app code).

All I want to do is take text from the database and display it on the report in two columns (like a newspaper). When the first column is filled, the text continues at the top of the second column. Similar to 'autoflow' in MS Publisher, etc.

Please, if you can solve this I would be really grateful.

Thanks,

Jon.

IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 13 Mar 2007 at 1:31pm
Does the label feature not work? You can have it print down and then across to simulate a newspaper.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
DreamState

Quote DreamState Replybullet Posted: 13 Mar 2007 at 1:37pm
Brian,

I appreciate the prompt reply.

I am just having a look at that now.

One thing I have noticed immediately is that I am trying to do this in an existing report.

If I create a new label report it offers me the option for multiple columns. But not in the current report - if I go to section expert, the 'layout' tab is absent, which is possibly why I haven't been able to find this functionality.

I will continue to hunt with this in mind.

Thanks again.

Jon.

IP IP Logged
DreamState

Quote DreamState Replybullet Posted: 13 Mar 2007 at 1:55pm
I am not sure I am going to be able to achieve this although it is conceivable that I could do it programmatically, and may have to.

A very quick (and tired lol) look at the label type setup shows it seems to affect the whole report? I only want one of the twenty pages (sections) in the report to have this 2 column text. The layout tab 'Format with multiple columns' seems to be on the overall 'detail' section as opposed to individual ones.

I will perhaps have a look at it tomorrow!

Cheers,

Jon.
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 13 Mar 2007 at 2:19pm
Yeah, it's a 'whole report' option. And you have to configure it for new reports. What about using a subreport to display the newspaper column effect (using labels)?
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version