Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2005 and Newer : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Can not perform to build a report Post Reply Post New Topic
utkuozan

Online Status: Offline
Quote utkuozan Replybullet Topic: Can not perform to build a report
    Posted: 12 Mar 2007 at 2:21am
I have a question that may be quite simple, but can not accomplish during past few days. I need to create a report listing Devices, Persons and Shops of Companies I have in my database. To perform this task I have the following 4 tables:

Company:
Company%20table

Devices:
Devices%20table

Persons:

Shops:

I want to view all companies, then three sections (Devices, Persons, Shops) under it and finally access the values under each fields. The final look might be like this:

But I can only reach such a view when I compose the tables like below, performing operations in C# code.
and then group it as
CompanyID
      |_______groupType
                              |______groupVal

The problem is that I need to develop that report without using C# codes, just by Crystal report operations. But when I try to do it in Crystal Reports it seems impossible to reach that view. All I get is either lists all possible value combinations of fields under each company or lists only if a company has three of them.

What should I do to perform this task?

a) Use subgroups
b) Use a different table syntax
c) Arrange fields on report in a different order

I will be glad if anyone can make any help on the subject.

Regards.

PS: I am using the Crystal Reports under Visual Studio. NET 2005

Edited by utkuozan - 12 Mar 2007 at 2:24am
Utku Ozan ÇANKAYA
utkuozan@gmail.com
IP IP Logged
utkuozan

Quote utkuozan Replybullet Posted: 12 Mar 2007 at 2:49am
I guess that my problem is that I need to adjust the hierarchy of the report's group fields. I want "Company" to be the parent "Devices", "Persons" and "Shops" are the children of "Company" and the siblings of each other. But the report view categorizes the fields as child of each other. How can I possibly arrange those fields as siblings instead of being child of each other?
Utku Ozan ÇANKAYA
utkuozan@gmail.com
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 12 Mar 2007 at 10:57am
I don't know if it's the time change here in the US, or that I spent all day hiking in the sun yesterday, but my brain isn't functioning and I'm confused by the requirements.

The one thing that jumped out at me is that you want multiple tables to work as siblings rather than parent child. You can't do this with multiple tables b/c there are a different number of records in each table and Crystal doesn't can't line up the details rows. Instead, you need to use a subreport for one of the tables. If you wanted to truly make them siblings and display their data on the same row, you would have to do some type of subquery or a SQL view and use an outer join to get the data to line up prior to passing the data to Crystal Reports.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version