Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports .NET 2003 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Creating an initial unbound report Post Reply Post New Topic
versm

Online Status: Offline
Quote versm Replybullet Topic: Creating an initial unbound report
    Posted: 04 Aug 2012 at 8:53pm

I have been given a project (Crystal Report 8.5) where the desired crystal report to be developed was given to me in many MS Word document hardcopies.  Unfortunately, the client has forgotten to specify the tables and fields where things will be coming from (to populate the controls) before heading off for a 2 week vacation and expects alot of progress on his return.

Since the client is away on vacation and I would like to advance in the project (while he is gone), at least in the creation of the crystal report itself even if it's controls were to remain unbound in the meantime I would like to know if this plan will work.

From what I have seen (kindly correct if I am wrong) .. upon creation of a crystal report the table name and database has to be inputted already by the user ... in my case I know what is the database name but have no idea yet which tables data would be coming from.

My plan is to just later bind all the text controls/checkboxes etc. in the said crystal report,  later  upon the client's return. So is this possible?

It is easily possible in other reporting systems I tried in the past but since I am just starting with Crystal Report any advise from experts will help me not hit too many walls.  Thanks for all the help and guidance, I really appreciate it

Gratefully,
Versm

Edited by versm - 04 Aug 2012 at 8:57pm
IP IP Logged
lockwelle

Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 4:54am
yeah, I would agree with you, that you need to know the structure of the report before you can really do anything.  If you were 'pushing' the data to the report, you could create the schema and push that to CR, but if you are 'pulling' the data from the database, you need to know the tables/stored proc that you are pulling the data from...otherwise CR won't know what to do.
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 9:12am
I would go digging around in the database to see whether I could find the data.  Frequently table and field names will indicate what specific data they contain.  Or I would try to contact someone who works with this person to see if they can be of any assistance.

-Dell
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version