Data Connectivity
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Data Connectivity
Message Icon Topic: PDF Issue: Font Size Shrinks In Some Report Fields Post Reply Post New Topic
CherieH

Online Status: Offline
Quote CherieH Replybullet Topic: PDF Issue: Font Size Shrinks In Some Report Fields
    Posted: 09 Oct 2007 at 10:12am
Hi,

I am a Crystal Reports XI form designer for a small software development company. We are currently experiencing a shrinking font issue that has us stumped.

Here's the background: The report engine that we developed calls Crystal Reports forms and displays them in the Crystal viewer, which of course gives our users the option to export a report as a PDF file. This doesn't seem to be an issue except for one report with one user. The report is a bill, so it uses a few different fonts including a bar code font. In house, we have no problems with this and we're running Adobe Reader 8.1 -- the same as the user reporting the problem. For them, however, the bar code shrinks significantly when rendered to PDF. The font size in another field, which uses Arial, also shrinks slightly. Yet the font size in other fields using Arial doesn't shrink at all. The user experiences no shrinking font problems when exporting to Word. Any thoughts as to what's going on and how to fix it?
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 09 Oct 2007 at 1:22pm
I wrote about this in my new book on page 546. CR reduces the font size for PDF files by 5%. However, this doesn't explain why the barcode font shrinks so dramatically (maybe the internal font calculation is wrong since it's not a standard font). Anyway, create the following entry in your registry to correct the PDF font problem:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Business Objects\Suite 11.0\Crystal Reports\Export\PDF\ForceLargerFonts

Set the registry entry to "1".

If you do a lot of CR work, you should pick up a copy of the book. There are ton of tips and tricks just like this. It will save hours of frustration.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
wattsjr
Groupie
Groupie

Quote wattsjr Replybullet Posted: 09 Oct 2007 at 1:57pm
Hi Brian,

I was just wondering, in looking at your reply above, where I should be seeing Registry Entry, all I can see is a sliding bar. My company is still using I.E.6, is that causing the problem? or is it something else.

Since I'm one of the intelligent types that already bought your book, I was able to look it up (per your ref. above) and see it that way.  But I have seen this problem elsewhere in the forum, so I thought that I had better ask about it.

Thanks,

P.S. If I open the Topic in "Printable Version", everything (including the Reg. entry) is visible.

P.P.S.  I'm viewing in now using IE7 and it's still not showing correctly.

Edited by wattsjr - 09 Oct 2007 at 7:16pm
-jrw
IP IP Logged
CherieH

Quote CherieH Replybullet Posted: 10 Oct 2007 at 5:14am
Hi,

I was also unable to see the code until I clicked Reply. (I didn't actually put a reply in, I just viewed the message.)
IP IP Logged
CherieH

Quote CherieH Replybullet Posted: 10 Oct 2007 at 5:28am
Hi Brian,

Which book are you referrring to -- Crystal Reports Encyclopedia Professional XI Reports or Crystal .NET Programming?
IP IP Logged
wattsjr
Groupie
Groupie

Quote wattsjr Replybullet Posted: 10 Oct 2007 at 8:57am

Hi CherieH,

I was just reading the CR User Guide "xir2_cr_usergde_en.pdf" (downloaded from the CrystalDecisions web site), and chapter 13 - page 260 might be what you're looking for.  It might be a printer driver problem.

Also, Brian was referring to his new book "Crystal Reports Encyclopedia Professional XI Reports".  I have a copy and I highly recommend it.

Regards,
-jrw
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version