Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2005 and Newer : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Crosswalk or Report Inventory Post Reply Post New Topic
anushka

Online Status: Offline
Quote anushka Replybullet Topic: Crosswalk or Report Inventory
    Posted: 02 May 2011 at 6:27am
Hi All

Has anyone ever created a report inventory or a crosswalk on a spreadhseet or ever dona project of tracking all the reports in the system with their details like, tables , column names, Scheduling Information, filters , paramters etc. This is for easy lookupof the reports and also to quickly identify imapcted reports when there is a change in database tables /columns.

Need Guidance.

Learning can be fun.
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 03 May 2011 at 10:46am
Look in the downloads section on BOB (http://www.forumtopics.com/busobj/)  There might be something there to help you.

I had started programming something for this at one point, but got busy and I don't have time to get back to it right now.

-Dell
IP IP Logged
anushka

Quote anushka Replybullet Posted: 03 May 2011 at 12:44pm
Hi Dell

I am checking the site you mentioned , have not found anything relavant yet.i am kind of looking for some content on how to organize and structure your inhouse reports.I have built a spreadsheet with the information of different components of reports like tables accessed , scheduling information , any hard coded signatures images etc to track back.

I have to built up a presentation for this topic and was looking for some content on it or better ideas.

Have you had experinece on this before?
Learning can be fun.
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 04 May 2011 at 3:27am

The problem with this type of thing is that the data for the "big picture" is not simple to get to.  You can run queries in Query Builder to get the scheduling information, but to get the details about the inner workings of each report you have to open the report (whether in Crystal itself or in a program using the SDK) to get to it - there's no way to do that from Query Builder.

In terms of organizing your reports, you may want to look at putting the information into a database instead of using a spreadsheet.  This can get somewhat complex, but the program I was working on that I never finished had the following tables:

Report - contained base information about a report - title, description, path in Infoview, etc.  Key field is ID which is the SI_ID value from BO - this is used to link together all of the report information in various tables.

ReportTables - ID, table name, database info.

ReportParams - Information about the parameters and default values for each report.

ScheduleInfo - Various fields for info about the recurring schedules.  Different types of schedules (daily, weekly, monthly, calendar, event) can require different different fields to store their details.  This also includes info about the output type and destination for each schedule.  It also contains a Instance_ID field which is the SI_ID for the recurring schedule.  This is used to link to the next couple of tables.

SchedEmails - Instance_ID and Email Address (individual - broken out from the list of email addresses when the destination is email.

SchedParams - Instance_ID, ParamName, ParamType, ValueStart, ValueEnd.  For single value params, the value is in ValueStart, range params need both value fields.

There may be a couple of other tables, but this is what I can remember off the top of my head.  The structure makes it easy to run reports off of this data to get some or all of it as needed.

-Dell
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version