Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: How do I create a Sum total for multiple fields? Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 3
Repent34

Online Status: Offline
Quote Repent34 Replybullet Posted: 08 Mar 2011 at 12:18pm
I do notice that when I go to the DB Expert and the links tab to look at my joins, then go to close the DB expert, it warns me that "Your current link configuration contains multiple starting points.  Please be advised that this is generally not supported."  Could this be the issue?
IP IP Logged
Repent34

Quote Repent34 Replybullet Posted: 08 Mar 2011 at 12:22pm
I tried the distinct records option to no effect.

IP IP Logged
Repent34

Quote Repent34 Replybullet Posted: 08 Mar 2011 at 12:53pm
Dan, do you know how to stop the report from refreshing itself every minute or so?  To do anything (Dev) I have to wait for it to finish scanning/reloading all 3332 pages.  This is when I'm looking at the "Preview" tab.
IP IP Logged
Keikoku

Quote Keikoku Replybullet Posted: 09 Mar 2011 at 2:42am
Do you have "save data with report" option checked? If not, it will do another query whenever you run preview. I don't know why it would refresh itself "every minute or so" though.

And for development purposes, you should filter your query so that it only retrieves a dozen or so records. Or anything you need to verify your report is correct.

Chances are if it works for 100 records then it also works for 10000 records.
IP IP Logged
DBlank

Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 09 Mar 2011 at 3:43am
when i work on a report with a lot of data I work in the Design mode to avoid the wait tiome for adding new data to the field and only move to the preview mode when I need to validate or check how things look.

as fo the link issue how are your tables linked now?
IP IP Logged
Repent34

Quote Repent34 Replybullet Posted: 09 Mar 2011 at 8:08am
Originally posted by Repent34

Dan, do you know how to stop the report from refreshing itself every minute or so?  To do anything (Dev) I have to wait for it to finish scanning/reloading all 3332 pages.  This is when I'm looking at the "Preview" tab.

I figured out my problem here so I thought I'd post it for those doing a Google search of this issue.

Ok I figured out the problem.  You may want to file this away in your memory banks…..

I noted that the refresh of the records in CR was happening all on its own, whether or not I was working in CR or just letting it sit.  My laptop is a Macbook Pro running Parallels 6 with a Win7 Ultimate virtual machine.  I do all my CR Dev in Parallels/Win7.  What was happening was that, in the options for Parallels, there is an option to keep the clock for the virtual machine sync’d with the Mac.  I turned that option off and the problem went away.  Turned it back on, and the problem was back.  Turned it off again, problem gone. 

Since the clocks were updating with each other every minute to stay sync’d, this sync event was noticed by the Win7 operating system, thus causing CR to refresh its open report every minute.

I could see this also happening if using a third party system clock sync program, especially if it’s set to a short update time value.

I only wish I was as good at Crystal Reports Development as I am troubleshooting this kind of stuff!!

Blessings;

Chris

Edited by Repent34 - 09 Mar 2011 at 8:11am
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 3
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version