Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: change of records based off another record Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 2
Keikoku

Online Status: Offline
Quote Keikoku Replybullet Posted: 02 Mar 2011 at 4:46am
The code you have written to handle the null value is correct, as your results indicate that it works and does display a "-".

The "previous" record becomes a problem.
Consider the following:

1: you have two records. The second record has no Struct#. You can use previous({table.struct#}) to get the previous one. That should work.

2: Suppose you have three records. The second and third records do not have struct #. The second record can be handled the same way as before, but the third one will pose issues now because the previous record does not have a struct#!

So then the statement "it must be the previous record" I'm guessing would be inaccurate, and it should be more like "any null values should have the same struct# as the most recent non-null struct#"

This becomes a little tricky if you are aiming for performance, and I can't think of any good solutions to deal with it.

One option is to have a global variable defined in another formula that will keep track of the struct# as you're reading records (using WhileReadingRecords keyword). This global variable will say

if struct# is not null, then store it
else, ignore it

This will basically retain the most recent non-null struct# that you have seen.

Then, you can say something like

if isnull({structure.struct#}) then
temp := the_global_variable
else
{structure.struct#}

Here, you know that the global variable stores the value of the "previous" non-null struct#, so even if you have 20 records with null struct#, you will replace them with the "previous" non-null number.

Note that I say "previous" because it is not the crystal interpretation of `previous`

Now here is another situation

Suppose you assign a new struct# to your most recent non-null record. Would the subsequent records take on this new struct#? If so, then you must make sure that the global variable is updated to reflect this change, because it would store the default table-provided value which is NOT the new #.

Edited by Keikoku - 02 Mar 2011 at 4:52am
IP IP Logged
moontide
Groupie
Groupie

Quote moontide Replybullet Posted: 02 Mar 2011 at 5:11am
Thanks for the help, friend. I just need to figure out how to write this in a formula for the global variable.

if struct# is not null, then store it
else, ignore it

would you know of a formula for that because I dont know what formula would fit that

IP IP Logged
Keikoku

Quote Keikoku Replybullet Posted: 02 Mar 2011 at 5:34am
I ran into issues with when the formulas are being run, so I decided to change how it would be done to ensure that they are run while you're reading records and the logic is executing in the correct order.

It would be a minor change to your current formula to incorporate the global variable. I am not sure if it will function correctly though and may need some additional code..

global stringvar history;
local stringvar temp := {STRUCTURE.Structure_number};
local stringvar digit := {buidling.buidling_id}[6];

if temp is not null then
   history := temp // store the most recent non-null struct#

if digit = '0' or digit = '1' then
   temp := {STRUCTURE.Structure_number};
else
   if struct# is null then
      temp := history // assign most recent non-null to it
temp; //display it

Basically while you are deciding the struct# should be, you are also keeping track of the most recent non-null struct #. Modify the algorithm so that it is syntactically correct and it should work.

We use a global variable because local variables no longer exist after the formula finishes running, and that isn't very useful if you need to keep track of things.

There are most likely more efficient ways to do it and can think of different ways to approach the logic, but haven't thought it through.

EDIT: actually, it seems like it doesn't work the way I thought it would work. Maybe it isn't as simple as I thought.

Edited by Keikoku - 02 Mar 2011 at 5:47am
IP IP Logged
moontide
Groupie
Groupie

Quote moontide Replybullet Posted: 02 Mar 2011 at 6:01am
Thanks a lot for the formula but after inserting the formula into the report column i end up gettin the same results as before in the post. Could it be that because the structure Id, structure # and building id are in a subreport, that the formula is not having any effect?
IP IP Logged
Keikoku

Quote Keikoku Replybullet Posted: 02 Mar 2011 at 7:56am
If it is a subreport, try using a Shared variable (global variables do not work with subreports)
IP IP Logged
moontide
Groupie
Groupie

Quote moontide Replybullet Posted: 02 Mar 2011 at 10:02am

Thanks for all the help !. Let me work on it and see if I can get it to display any records based on the formulas you have provided because it is still showing the same records with the issue as before. It's going to be a hair pulling experience with this report.  

IP IP Logged
Keikoku

Quote Keikoku Replybullet Posted: 02 Mar 2011 at 11:52am
I have noticed that my method of trying to keep track of the most recent value does not actually work, so that may be why you're not seeing any difference.

I am not sure why it doesn't work though.
IP IP Logged
moontide
Groupie
Groupie

Quote moontide Replybullet Posted: 03 Mar 2011 at 2:07am
Well, I have to dig deeper into this issue and see what I can get out of it and I'm sure there is a way.
IP IP Logged
Keikoku

Quote Keikoku Replybullet Posted: 04 Mar 2011 at 5:19am
I just read this thread and got some ideas to improve my initial suggestion on declaring a separate formula for keeping track of numbers (except I wasn't sure how to control when it should be run).

Basically we are using the whileprintingrecords keyword.

So you would have one formula to keep track of the most recent non-null struct#. Since you're using subreports I believe you will need to use a shared variable:

shared stringvar tracker; // declare shared var
if {table.structure#} is not null then
   tracker := table.structure#

So while you're printing records, it will go down each record WHILE you're printing. whilereadingrecords doesn't work because it would contain the very last value of the report (which makes sense now that I think about it).

You then take your original formula and just refer to the tracker variable when necessary.

shared stringvar tracker; // declare global var
local stringvar temp := {STRUCTURE.Structure_number};
local stringvar digit := {buidling.buidling_id}[6];

if digit = '0' or digit = '1' then
   temp := {STRUCTURE.Structure_number};
else
   if struct# is null then
      temp := tracker // assign most recent non-null to it
   else
      //do something, like replace it with a new number
temp; //display it

This should produce some results.

Edited by Keikoku - 04 Mar 2011 at 5:20am
IP IP Logged
moontide
Groupie
Groupie

Quote moontide Replybullet Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 8:01am
Ok Thanks a bunch, friend !. I will try and see if it works.
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 2
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version