Data Connectivity
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Data Connectivity
Message Icon Topic: Crystal reports pointing to old server Post Reply Post New Topic
sandy
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Quote sandy Replybullet Topic: Crystal reports pointing to old server
    Posted: 23 Jan 2007 at 6:32am
Our IT folks updated several databases to our new SQL 2005 server.  I have many reports that are still pointing to the old server that need to be updated with the correct database information. 
Can anyone provide guidance?
TY
IP IP Logged
crystaluser

Quote crystaluser Replybullet Posted: 23 Jan 2007 at 7:01am
In Crystal Reports XI you can go Database > Set Datasource Location and change the database your reports point to.
Hope this helps.

Crystal User
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 23 Jan 2007 at 2:32pm
If you have LOTS of reports to update, there are third-party tools that are available to help with this.  One that I've heard recommended, but never used is .rpt Inspector.  You can find more info about it here: http://www.softwareforces.com/Product/ri/pro/3/rptinspector.htm
IP IP Logged
purva

Quote purva Replybullet Posted: 12 Mar 2007 at 1:01am
u have to follow the following steps while changing the database connection : -
Once you've opened the document on your local server, to change it to point to your local database, use the "Change Datasource Location..." option from the Database menu.
From the resulting dialog box, click on the bottom line (i.e. the Stored Procedure name or table name ) in the tree control in the upper box, then choose the OLE DB ADO option from the tree control in the lower box. 
This leads to another dialog box, choose Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server. From the next dialog box, enter your Database Server, User Id., Password and Database. Click Finish to point to your new database.
You then need to re-point to the Stored Procedure or table name . In the tree control in the lower box, new db branches will appear. Choose Stored Procedure then find the stored procedure  or table name matching the name in the top. Once you've found the right one, click on the Update button. Once you have done this, click on Close.To check all is ok, click on the Verify Database option from the Database menu

Edited by purva - 12 Mar 2007 at 1:03am
IP IP Logged
sandy
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sandy Replybullet Posted: 12 Mar 2007 at 5:59am
Much appreciated!
Do you know of anything on the Crystal Enterprise side that can be done instead of opening each report?
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 12 Mar 2007 at 10:40am
I'm not familiar with the CE SDK, but for BusinessObjects Enterprise, it's not difficult to write a program that will go through the system and set the database on all of the reports (I know, I've written one!)

-Dell
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version