Data Connectivity
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2020 : Data Connectivity
Message Icon Topic: Delete after the output ref curosr Post Reply Post New Topic
sruthi

Online Status: Offline
Quote sruthi Replybullet Topic: Delete after the output ref curosr
    Posted: 14 Jul 2010 at 11:28pm
Hi,
I am bad in english but i will try to explain my problem.
i am trying to connect procedure to CR.
my procedure should be designed in such a way that unlimited times by unlimited number of users can run the report and see the data on-demand.
They may refresh multiple times or run different reports multiple times and keep them open in their systems.
now my problem is
In procedure i am using reference cursor to throw output to report like
open cursor_name for
select x,y,z from a
if the same report is used by multiple users multiple times the data loded in final table 'a' is huge.
my point is can i delete the data after the output is thrown to report means can i use delete statement after the
open cursor_name for
select x,y,z from a
in procedure.
Thanks & Regards,
Sruthi
IP IP Logged
lockwelle

Online Status: Offline
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 19 Jul 2010 at 7:10am
in SQL Server, once a select is done, you don't need to keep the supporting tables...but you are using a cursor, which means you are looping through a collection.  In that case, I would assume you need to keep the table.

You could select a to be a temp table, then each instance of the stored proc would use its own copy of the data, and if you aren't looping, get rid of the cursor...actually, I would do everything in my power to get rid of the cursor, there are very few instances where you need a cursor...SQL WHILE loops are faster in 99% of the cases...and loops aren't needed that often either....dataset updates are faster still.

HTH
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version