Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Crys X - Showing something that doesn't exist Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
Deep
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 04 May 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4
Quote Deep Replybullet Topic: Crys X - Showing something that doesn't exist
     Posted: 05 May 2010 at 12:08am
A strange heading but hopefully I can explain. 

I've created a subreport which lists the date, time entry and the notes against that time entry.  The problem is that if a time entry doesn't have a note against it then the entry doesn't show at all. 

If I take the note field out then all dates and time entries are listed.  Put the field back in and it will only show entries with notes. 

Basically I want the report to show the notes if there is one.  If there isn't one then ignore the notes field and just show date and hours. 

I've tried creating various formulas which will put a value in there if there isn't a note (just to see if that would resolve it) but no. 

I've ticked and unticked that many suppress and do not suppress I'm going round in circles. 

Any ideas?
IP IP Logged
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 05 May 2010 at 3:13am
is the note in a different table?  If so, are you doing an inner join or an outer join to the table.  An inner join would display pretty much as you describe, and outer join should display as you desire.
 
right clicking on the join should give a path to determining if it is inner or outer.  I haven't used direct table joins in years so I am not sure what the interface looks like.
 
HTH
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 05 May 2010 at 3:41am
I agree with Lockwelle.
The interface is pretty direct.
go into Database > Database Expert
Select the Links tb
doble click on the join between the table
change your join type from inner to either left outer or right outer depending on which directions your tables are set up.
 
Note that a select statemetn can make an outer join revert to an inner join.
IP IP Logged
Deep
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 04 May 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4
Quote Deep Replybullet Posted: 05 May 2010 at 4:00am
Wow!  Thanks guys!  Just the thing. 

I've never heard of this inner/outer join thing before.  Will definitely RTFM and find out about them. 

Thumbs%20Up
IP IP Logged
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 05 May 2010 at 4:05am
it was a hard concept at first, but if you think of Venn diagrams...the intersecting circles, all of the joins make sense.
 
also when I was learning, I couldn't figure out why you would ever want an outer join....years later (and countless stored procs/reports) it is 'intrinsically obvious'
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum