Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Report Background Image and Footer Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
mikeismike
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 22 Apr 2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3
Quote mikeismike Replybullet Topic: Report Background Image and Footer
     Posted: 22 Apr 2010 at 3:48am
I have a client that wants a report with a large background image that covers the entire page. This background image has a bottom border of 2 inches.

When I build the report, is there a method for preventing my report data from overwriting the bottom 2 inches of the page.

My page size is the standard 8.5 x 11 and the background image fills this entire space.

I have tried adding the page footer of 2 inches; however, crystal cuts off my background image.

Can anyone provide a solution?

Thank you in advance.
IP IP Logged
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 22 Apr 2010 at 9:04am
just so that I am clear, the image is 8x10.5 (assumes 1/4 inch margins)?
or is it 8 x 8.5?  If the image is 10.5 and you make the page footer 2 inches, I am guessing that the CR will clip the image as it doesn't 'flow' across the boundary. 
 
You might want to look into the overlay ability.  I haven't used, but I think that it might be solution that you are looking for.

HTH
IP IP Logged
mikeismike
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 22 Apr 2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3
Quote mikeismike Replybullet Posted: 23 Apr 2010 at 3:13am
Thanks for the suggestion. The image is 8.75" by 11.25" (I have a larger page size set to accomodate for this because the report will be printed on a press and manually cut to size so that the image bleeds all the way to the edges).

I've been working with underlay settings; however, setting a 2" footer clips the underlay image.

I could possibly split the background image in half, making the underlay image 10.25" and setting the footer to be the bottom 2" of the image. This would be ok, but it is near impossible to get the alignment to work properly, plus, there is a tiny gap between the page and footer which causes the image to look broken when printed.

I've resorted to placing the entire image in the pageheader and setting it to underlay. Then, I count records displayed in the report and force page breaks so that I do not write records over the bottom 2". This would be a simple solution if some fields were not set to "Can Grow". Alas, I need dynamic fields, so the problem is much more complicated.

I have a working prototype, but spending 8 hours on a report to do something that should be so simple is frustrating.

IP IP Logged
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 23 Apr 2010 at 6:12am
and you have all the issues that, as far I know, can't be resolved....like line counting with Can Grow... the only option that i have come up with, and I don't guarantee it's any better is to count characters and guess if the field has grown and by how much.
 
Sorry I couldn't be of more help, I basically do financials and pretty (or even ugly) images aren't used.
IP IP Logged
mikeismike
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 22 Apr 2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3
Quote mikeismike Replybullet Posted: 23 Apr 2010 at 6:17am
I suppose I'll live with the problem for now - at least until I begin to evaluate other reporting packages that I can use with .NET.
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum