Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Combining database fields in a text object Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
antlerbanger
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 05 Feb 2010
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2
Quote antlerbanger Replybullet Topic: Combining database fields in a text object
     Posted: 05 Feb 2010 at 9:50am
I am new to CR and working through the Quick Start for new users in the CR online help. I get as far as "Combining database fields in a text object" section and this data does not display. All my other fields from the xtreme.mdb file display fine in the preview. When I place a text object in the details section, and drag a field on to it, I get jumbled unreadable text. I am following the tutorial very closely. What could I be doing wrong.
 
I am using CR 10 designer on Vista.
 
Thanks 
IP IP Logged
flanman
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 04 Nov 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 123
Quote flanman Replybullet Posted: 05 Feb 2010 at 12:53pm
I have combined several Db field before with not issues. Here are my steps.
1. Create a text box and size it big enough to hold both db fields.
2. Insert both fields initially in the report footer field temporarily.
3. drag the first field into the text box. You should now see the db
field name {field1}  inside the text box. now drag the second db field from the footer into the text box to the right of the first field so your text box should look like {field1}{field2}.  I normally put my cursor between the fields and create a space depending on what date is in the fields.
You should be all set.
IP IP Logged
antlerbanger
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 05 Feb 2010
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2
Quote antlerbanger Replybullet Posted: 06 Feb 2010 at 9:12am
Thanks for the response. I tried it again today using the same steps listed in the tutorial and it works. I have been a .net developer for many years, and pretty good with the details. I hear people groaning about CR all the time. Now I know why.
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum