Joined: 03 Nov 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 19
Topic: Data types not read correctly from Excel Posted: 02 Feb 2010 at 6:34am
Hello,
I have come across something which is rather weird. I
have an excel sheet which I linked with Crystal. The issue that I am
facing is that irrespective of the already defined data type in excel,
Crystal seems to read it as String. So, basically, the field which is
formatted as a number in excel is being read as a string. I am not sure
if there is a way I can fix this problem?
Also, I am not sure
what is causing this at the first place? Is it the the type of
connection, I choose to link the excel sheet with crystal? There are a
few types including Excel 3.0, Excel 4.0, Excel 5.0 and Excel 8.0. I am
not sure how these aforementioned types are different?
Joined: 17 Nov 2008
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 22
Posted: 02 Feb 2010 at 7:52am
I have also had this problem. I have a somewhat older Excel version and I always choose Excel 8 in the database expert. I solved the problem by selecting the column in Excel (use the controlkey to de-select the heading) and format it as a number. Do this even though Excel already says it's a number.
If that doesn't work, I prefer to put my data in an Access database rather than Excel. I seem to have less of those types of problems.
Joined: 03 Nov 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 19
Posted: 02 Feb 2010 at 9:32am
thanks for replying..
However, i found out a workaround too... just format the column every time as a number and either add or take off the decimal digits. I think Crystal recognizes better if a column has number with decimals. I am not sure, how good is this method, but its been working for me for sometime now.
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot create polls in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum