Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: How Does Crystal Report interpret? Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
vaibhav123
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 03 Nov 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 19
Quote vaibhav123 Replybullet Topic: How Does Crystal Report interpret?
     Posted: 03 Nov 2009 at 1:41pm
Hi,

I am just starting to play around wit CR and have a question already! I am using Crystal Reports 2008 which is connected to a database in MySql. I was wondering :

1. If Crystal Reports interprets the relationship between the tables in the same way as they were originally defined in MySql? To elaborate on that, while making a report, there is a step where you can define links between the tables, I was wondering if Crystal Reports uses the same relationship between the chosen tables as in the database?

2. If not, is there a way I could define the relationships for CR before going ahead with the reports? I understand, I can redefine the relationships between the tables, but what if I do not want to do that every time?

Any help on this is highly appreciated.

-V
-V
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 03 Nov 2009 at 2:43pm
Not sure about 2008 but in ver. XI under File >Options, Database Tab there is an option to turn on/off 'Automatic Smart Linking'.
Of this is on it tries to link based on standard table linking processes.
If this is off it won't create any links at all.
Just a user preference really.
If you have this set to on it links may or may not be what you need. I never assume it linked as I need it to for that report and always check these.
hth
IP IP Logged
vaibhav123
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 03 Nov 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 19
Quote vaibhav123 Replybullet Posted: 03 Nov 2009 at 2:56pm
Thanks a lot... but a follow up question...

So, under a scenario where in my SQL database, I have defined primary keys and foreign keys in the tables and also unchecked the option of Automatic Smart Linking,

1. Is there no significance of the aforementioned definition (Primary and Foreign Keys) for the way a report is generated in CR?

2. Also, is the aforesaid true for indexed fields too?

3. Can I know just manually link tables on the basis of prior information about the fields?

Thanks,

V
-V
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 03 Nov 2009 at 3:18pm
I bleive this is coorect but someone will jump in if I am wrong...
 
1. Design your DB and defing the PK and FKs would likely make the smart linking more accurate but have no direct impact on any report design or functionality. That is defined in crystal by adding data sources (tables) and linking them accordingly in the Database Expert. Say in your DB you have Table1.fieldA as a PK and table2.fieldB is the same data as a FK. In Crystal you can completely ignore that relationship and join on something else. No different than say creating a view or stored procedure in SQL.
 
2. You will want to maximize your indexed data but it does not impact the joins.
 
3. Yes you will manually link based on your knowledge of how you want the data between the tables to function for this report. The Next report may require the same tables linked in a different way.
 
Be aware that in crystal outer joins are not enforced unless you make then so or until you use a piece of date from both tables in the join.
I am sure there is more but I hope that gets you a framework.


Edited by DBlank - 03 Nov 2009 at 3:20pm
IP IP Logged
vaibhav123
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 03 Nov 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 19
Quote vaibhav123 Replybullet Posted: 04 Nov 2009 at 11:14am
Thanks again...

I have another question which is kind of not related to the topic but still related to CR.

How do you think open source BI tools such as Pentahoe and Jasper fare against CR?

Are those competitive enough to replace CR?


Thanks
-V
-V
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 04 Nov 2009 at 11:30am
Glad you asked in another post because I cannot answer this one as I have not used the other options.
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum