Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Extracting text from BLOB data Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
sdamot
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 27 Aug 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1
Quote sdamot Replybullet Topic: Extracting text from BLOB data
     Posted: 27 Aug 2009 at 7:50am
I apologize, this is a cross post from another forum but I'm desperate to try to figure this out. Confused

Let me start by saying that I'm flying by the seat of my pants on this and I'm neither a CR expert nor can I write SQL. Short of a little basic back on my old Apple IIe (way back when,) my programming skills are essentially nil.

That said, here's what I'm trying to acheive.

I have created a report that uses an ODBC connection to an Oracle database. It works fine, all the tables are properly linked and it delivers a properly functioning report. I now need to extract some text from a BLOB field. I have all the necessary tables added to the report and I've linked them as well. However, when I add an SQL expression and paste in the SQL string that uses the function, "getprop" to try to extract the necessary text from the BLOB data, I get the error: "missing expression"
I notice that within the SQL Expression editor, the field for the BLOB data is not listed in the table in which it resides, though the non-BLOB fields are listed. That is, when I say:
select getprop(tablename.blobdata,'confirmCompany')
 there is no tablename.blobdata field which I believe is the source of the "missing expression" error.

If I create a new blank report and simply paste the SQL in as a command in the Database Expert, it will deliver the expected results. I get the two fields I need. This means the SQL string is fine. But, of course, all the other columns I need are not available. As I mentioned above, I can't write SQL and I have a fully functional report that has everything except the two columns i want to add from the BLOB field.

However if I go back to my complete report and add the SQL as a command in the Database Expert, it then asks me to link the fields to the other tables already in the report and that just doesn't work.

I apologize for any mucked up terminology and general concept confusing statements I've made above and hope someone will be able to help me out.

Thanks in advance.
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum