Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Change schema dynamically? Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
valerieb
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 06 Feb 2009
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 8
Quote valerieb Replybullet Topic: Change schema dynamically?
     Posted: 07 Aug 2009 at 8:03am

Hello Crystal Experts!

Thank you in advance for your help!

We have a set of reports written with Oracle/Crystal Reports 2008.  We also use CMC and InfoView to make reports available.

We have a single Oracle instance, with 3 oracle accounts/schemas for a given project, for example, abc_dev, abc_test, and abc_prod.  Each schema owns an identical set of tables and views that are used in the reports.

I am currently in a position where I need to get a set of reports running for all 3 schemas, and will need to do so for each project that comes along (eg, xyz_dev, xyz_test, xyz_prod, etc).

To-date, I have used the “Set DataSource Location” to point to correct tables.  But I realize I will be facing a maintenance nightmare if I multiply these reports with a different data source in each one.  I will end up with 3 copies of the report for each project we have, and there are likely to be changes to the reports that would need to be propagated to all copies.  As there is a set of 10+ reports, I am sure you can understand my concern.

Would it be possible to pass a parameter to the report and dynamically change the schema looked at.

Any assistance or advice on how to handle this would be greatly appreciated!!!Thank you!

 

IP IP Logged
AdamField
Groupie
Groupie


Joined: 04 Jun 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 88
Quote AdamField Replybullet Posted: 07 Aug 2009 at 8:40am
Hey Valerieb,
 
I have exact the same problem but in a slightly different contect (we have multiple shops with the same db  tables but different info inside them ofcourse)  so i have to make 3-4 copie's of a report with just other DB info.
 
At the moment i'm not aware of any sollution but what i do now is that i don't use the table fields in my report, i just use the formula fields.
For every field i need i make a formule so later on i switch the source DB and i only need to rename in the formula's.
shop1  / shop2 / shop3
 
This speeds up the making of a "new" report
 
hope this helps you.
 
Adam
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum