Don't get me started on the whackiness of CR Charting. I worked on the basics of this kernel many years ago and they just did an AWFUL job hooking up what is really a very good charting library (same one that works flawlessly in Cognos, MicroStrategy, WebFocus, and many others).
Crystal paid us for this code about 8 years ago and has just let it more-or-less simmer. I could correct about 40 obvious and annoying bugs in a 2 or 3 weeks if they let me. But its not my call.
CRChart is my attempt to work around the many obvious flaws in CR graphs. It has delightful and powerful custom-line functionality (20 lines on any axis! runtime values! user-text on the lines! etc...). Take a gander at the free eval copy on our website. Track me down on my email account and I'll send you a coupon code good for 25% off.
-Dan (fighting the good fight)
disclaimer: I work for the company, threedgraphics.com, that makes this product. This product costs money.