Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: PostgreSQL OLE DB provider problems Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
RobR
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 24 Apr 2009
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 18
Quote RobR Replybullet Topic: PostgreSQL OLE DB provider problems
     Posted: 02 Jun 2009 at 8:07am
Greetings!
 
I am using CR XI and I want to talk to a PostgreSQL 8.1 database.
 
I want to create a report using an OLE DB connection to a PostgreSQL database.  So, I select "OLE DB (ADO)" under the "Create New Connection" branch of the Database Expert.   In the box that pops up, I select "PostgreSQL OLE DB Provider", and I click Next.  In the next box, I am asked for a Data Source, a User ID and a Password.  I don't know exactly what a "data source" is, but since I am not asked for it anyplace else, I put the database name in there: "Anneal".  I enter the User ID, "anneal", and the appropriate password.  I click Finish.
 
I get an error message complaining that it can't translate the host name "Anneal" to an address.  Not surprising, since Anneal is a databae name, not a machine name.  So, I change it to "localhost" and try again. 
 
Now it complains that there is no database named "anneal".  Huh?  It asked me for a user name, not a database name, and I gave it a user name! 
 
So, I go along with this idiocy and enter a database name instead of a user name in the user id field, but now I can give it a password but I can't tell it who the password is for.  But now I get "password authentication failed for user Anneal"!!!  So first it complains because the user id field should be a database name field, and then it complains that the database name field (which is labeled "user id") should contain a user id! 
 
So how do I use the PostgresQL OLE DB Driver?
 
Thank you very much.
 
RobR
Richardson's First Law of Computational Unpredictability: The fact that a given occurrence is impossible does not imply that it will not occur.
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum