Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: How to conditionally group a top group? Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
daraii
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 01 Jun 2009
Location: Puerto Rico
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1
Quote daraii Replybullet Topic: How to conditionally group a top group?
     Posted: 01 Jun 2009 at 4:47pm
I have 4 groups (Crystal 9):

Group 1
   Group 2
      Group 3
         Group 4

Group 1 is the topmost group. I would like to be able to be able to group "Group 1" based on the value of a field, if that field is 'N' the data must not be grouped in Group 1, but I'd like to keep the other groups below it.

Is that possible?

I've tried with the Suppress option of the section, it doesn't show the group but everything is still grouped.

IP IP Logged
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 02 Jun 2009 at 7:04am
It sounds like you want a conditional grouping, but here's the rub...if you have a grouping, everything gets grouped...somehow.
 
If you have a 'N' in the field, then it will group all of them together.  Groupings cannot be turned off, they can be modified, but not eliminated.  So it depends on where you want the records to display on the report that you don't want grouped into group 1.
 
I don't know if you can do this in CR9, but I would give it a try.  Write a formula of how you want the records grouped, say:
 
if {table.group1field}="N" then
  ""
else
 {table.group1field}
 
and then change group 1 to use the formula.
 
HTH
 
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum