Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Suppressed Detail Rows and Sub-Reports Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
chris
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 02 Apr 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 35
Quote chris Replybullet Topic: Suppressed Detail Rows and Sub-Reports
     Posted: 20 May 2009 at 2:38am
Hi all,
 
I have a report which does the following:
 
Grouped by Person ID
Detail A: Shows Start and End Dates (both setup as shared variables)
Detail B: Sub-report that brings back information between the dates in the Detail A Section
 
For info one person ID can have many Detail A rows which is why I have put the sub-report in Detail B and not in the Group Footer.
 
Detail A contains records that I do not want to show. Therefore I have setup a suppression formula to deal with these. This works fine.
 
The problem is the suppressed lines still appear to be feeding the subreport and are therefore giving me Detail B information for these lines.
 
Can anybody offer any advice on how I can stop this from happening. I only want the non-suppressed lines to take information from the sub-report.
 
Hope that made sense.
 
Thanks
 
Chris
IP IP Logged
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 20 May 2009 at 6:39am
yeah, and the only thing that makes sense is to suppress detail B.  I have had thoughts on how I would like it to work, but the bottom line is, Crystal 'hides' things when they are suppressed, not skipping the row of data.
 
If there is logic for suppression for detail a, I would try and use that to suppress the correct rows in the subreport so that detail b matches detail a. 
 
Another answer would be use a stored proc to retrieve the data and remove the suppressed rows at this time, so that they are not available for the subreport...
 
I use only 1 dataset in my reports which would have all of the data for, in this case, PersonID on one line.  Multiple rows, with lots of repeated data, but this allows me to 1) hit the database only 1 time, 2) get rid of the subreport (potential performance detractor due to multiple hits to database) 3) preview all the data and make sure that it is correct.
 
HTH
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum