Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Graph sort problems with multiple series of data Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
BrianL
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 16 Feb 2009
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 6
Quote BrianL Replybullet Topic: Graph sort problems with multiple series of data
     Posted: 16 Feb 2009 at 7:26am
Good morning and a happy Monday to all.  I am trying to create a chart to display sales trends of my company's products over multiple years, and I'm running into a sorting issue.  We just got our new software in 9/07, and only have sales data since then.  When I try sorting the data by month and year like this:
 
 
I get 2008, then 2009, then 2007:
 
 
I'm fairly certain it's because the 2007 data doesn't start until September, while 2008 and 2009 have data from January on, but don't know how to fix it.
I looked online but was unable to find any reference to this problem, does anyone have any ideas?
IP IP Logged
rahulwalawalkar
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 731
Quote rahulwalawalkar Replybullet Posted: 17 Feb 2009 at 11:09am
Hi
 
Can you post sample data,so that I can try to recreate the issue,do you have ny filters in your record selection formula....
 
Cheers
Rahul
IP IP Logged
rahulwalawalkar
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 731
Quote rahulwalawalkar Replybullet Posted: 17 Feb 2009 at 12:18pm

 



Edited by rahulwalawalkar - 17 Feb 2009 at 12:20pm
IP IP Logged
rahulwalawalkar
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 731
Quote rahulwalawalkar Replybullet Posted: 17 Feb 2009 at 12:18pm
Hi Brian
 
This is the solution Clear all groups in your report,then Insert Cross Tab in your report Header
 
Select
Month for Columns
Year for Rows
Summary will be Quantity or Sales
 
Once Done Insert Chart
 
Then Select Cross Tab Icon in Chart Expert then In SubDivided by Select Year
 
Suppress your Cross tab.............
 
Cheers
Rahul


Edited by rahulwalawalkar - 17 Feb 2009 at 12:21pm
IP IP Logged
BrianL
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 16 Feb 2009
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 6
Quote BrianL Replybullet Posted: 18 Feb 2009 at 7:20am
Thank you so much Rahul, you've solved my issue.  I can't clear the groups due to other facets of this report, but by creating a crosstab report as a subreport and showing the graph from the subreport I'm able to present the information as it needs to be shown.  Due to my inexperience at using Crystal, I didn't even think about using a crosstab.  Now that you point it out, this type of situation is exactly why that type of report exists.
 
Thanks again,
Brian
IP IP Logged
rahulwalawalkar
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 731
Quote rahulwalawalkar Replybullet Posted: 18 Feb 2009 at 7:36am
Hi Brian
 
Great Thanks for the reply...........
 
Cheers
Rahul
IP IP Logged
h77smith
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 15 Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1
Quote h77smith Replybullet Posted: 15 Dec 2010 at 3:46pm
hello Rahul, wanted to add my thanks, since I had the same problem.

One thing this fix doesn't address for me, though, is that I liked the click to drill ability I had from a group graph.  Don't suppose you can think of either an alternate way to resort the series of a group chart.. or is there a way to make crosstab charts clickable?
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum