Joined: 15 Sep 2008
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2
Topic: Can a column be a query? Posted: 29 Jan 2009 at 7:13am
Is there anyway to have a column in a report be a query?
Our MSSQL system was originally based on an IBM unidata system which has multivalued fields, so we have some serious structural issues...
I'm at a collage and trying to run a report that shows all our current students, not really hard.
But when I go to add a column that shows if they are a resident I run into problems. That table stores their residency status for many years and I only want to see the current semester. My only choice is to show all the semesters and then clean up in excel, because when I put in a select for the semester all of the commuter students disappear.
So is it possible to have a column be a query or formula that goes out and returns the residency status for a specific semester
Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Posted: 30 Jan 2009 at 6:11am
I never seen unidata, but if your records are like:
resident A, year 1
resident A, year 2
you can apply a filter to only get the year you want, or you can create a select statement to only retrieve what you want...or my favorite option, get the data from a stored procedure which gives you the most flexiblity in dealing with your data.
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot create polls in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum