Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Report listing data multiple times (Gah!) Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
Ballet
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 30 Sep 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3
Quote Ballet Replybullet Topic: Report listing data multiple times (Gah!)
     Posted: 30 Sep 2008 at 12:46pm
I'm a complete newb blundering my way through CR.  I'm trying to create a giving history report which lists a total amount given by fund per year for a one year period. Unfortunately for 2 of my columns it lists the same gifts twice, but only for those folks who have made more than one gift.
 
I'm using groups to list the gifts by donor and using running summary total (change by group) to total up my gifts instead of listing them all.
 
I can't find a difference between the two columns that aren't cooperating. Both export the correct data to excel but display incorrectly in CR.  
 
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3702
Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 30 Sep 2008 at 1:39pm
Have you tried turning on "Select Distinct Records" on the Database menu?
 
Have you tried using a regular summary instead of a running summary?
 
-Dell
IP IP Logged
Ballet
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 30 Sep 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3
Quote Ballet Replybullet Posted: 30 Sep 2008 at 1:48pm
I have Select Distinct Records Selected.

I did a bit more experimenting and I get the correct gifts listed and total until I add a specific data category. As soon as I place the data for that category, my gifts get doubled (if only it were true!)

Is there a reason that data could interact in this way?
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3702
Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 30 Sep 2008 at 5:07pm
Is that particular piece of data in one record but not the other?  Or is it coming from a different table entirely?  If it's from a different table, you may not have it linked correctly.
 
Please post information about the tables, fields, and the links between the tables in your report.  Also let me know how you're grouping and sorting.  I may be able to come up with something to help you out.
 
-Dell
IP IP Logged
Ballet
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 30 Sep 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3
Quote Ballet Replybullet Posted: 01 Oct 2008 at 7:48am
You are a genius! You'll see why at the end of this...

My linking table holds just that, all the links to each data piece. So Link has 10 links going out of it (all left outer join, not enforced, = ).  9 of these tables contain one gift category's (Fund's). Each of the 9 Fund tables contains 3 pieces of data, Gift ID, Gift Amount, and Gift_Link. Each Fund can have multiple gifts, one gift, or no gifts.  The 10th table contains identification information; Name, ID, First Name, Last Name, and Name_Link. The 10th table has one value for each record.

I believe I used auto link and then changed everything to Left outer joins .
My groups are done and sorted by Last Name.


And I just had a breakthrough! I went back to an old attempt where it appears to be correctly listing gifts once. On this report I have inner joins and "return all rows before joining" so I'm guessing that I used an incorrect linkage (they need a whole "how to" on links, I swear).

So if I'm correct, a new question. On my new report (which is all done except that annoying incorrect linkage and doubled numbers) I can't get the box to appear that lets me select "return all rows before Joining" to appear, its only available on my old report.  How can I get that option to appear and be selectable?




IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3702
Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 01 Oct 2008 at 10:27am

I haven't ever seen or used "return all rows before joining", but my guess is that it doesn't work with outer joins.

If you'll post your basic table structure and list where you're linking from and to, I might be able to find something that will help.  Also, what type of database are you using?

Thanks!

-Dell

IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum