Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Weird Extended Desktop Problem Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
lw00
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 25 Sep 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 14
Quote lw00 Replybullet Topic: Weird Extended Desktop Problem
     Posted: 28 Sep 2008 at 12:47am
I'm having a problem with CR that involves the extended desktop.

I am using Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2 and CR 2008, 30 day evaluation copy.

My problem goes like this. I used extended desktop so I could put CR on my monitor while reading this CRB tutorial on my laptop so I wouldn't have to keep switching screens. But after I turned off the extended desktop, CR still goes to the big monitor instead of my laptop screen. Which is annoying, but not that big a deal. I can either maximize the screen to bring it back to my laptop monitor or can just plug in the big monitor again.

The real problem is this. Right now, when I try to use either the group expert or database expert, the dialog box for either does not show up on either my laptop monitor or the extended desktop screen and CR seems to just hang. I can tell the dialog box exists and that I just cannot see it on either monitor and that CR is not simply hanging because

1. It makes a small 'beep' noise when I click on CR. The same noise you would get if you opened up any dialog box and clicked on CR anywhere outside that dialog box. CR would give you a small noise warning like many applications if you tried to click outside a dialog box inside that application.

2. When I hit 'enter', I return to CR. This suggests that I just hit 'ok' for the dialog box and have come back.

3. Task Manager shows CR as 'Running' and not 'Not Responding'.

I have tried restarting my computer. Disabling extended desktop. Uninstalling and installing CR 2008 (evaluation copy). Nothing has worked.

Has anyone encountered this problem? After 2 days of trying I'm at a loss. CR was fine for the first 2 days and then this problem occurred. If someone can tell me how to completely wipe out CR from my computer so that I can get a clean installation that would also be helpful.

LW . . . Lawrence
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2458
Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 28 Sep 2008 at 11:53pm
I use two monitors all the time (couldn't live without them). When you say that you turn it off, do you mean just the power switch? If so, windows doesn't know when the power is on or off. You have to right-click the desktip and select properties and then disable the monitor altogether. Once you do that, everything will appear on your laptop monitor.
 
Re the other problem, I've never seen this. Sorry. I would make sure that the second monitor is completely disabled, but still this is very strange.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
lw00
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 25 Sep 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 14
Quote lw00 Replybullet Posted: 29 Sep 2008 at 7:54pm
Yeah, when I say turn off extended desktop I mean that I go to the desktop, right click properties-->settings and then disable the 'extend my windows desktop onto this monitor'. CR continues to go to the extended monitor even when this is disabled. I bring it back to the laptop monitor by going to the task manager and maximizing the screen. Which obviously is very weird.

I have tried shrinking the CR window to the minimum size on my screen with extended desktop enabled but no dice, I still cannot see the group expert window anywhere. The shortcut and going to Report-->Group Expert yield the same result. CR beeps at me when I click the mouse until I hit enter and returns.

This problem only happened a couple days after I started extending my desktop. I could access Group Expert for the first couple of days until I did this. And even then, it didn't happen immediately. I didn't do anything out of the ordinary to mess with it. Can I just wipe CR from my registry completely and start again? An uninstall did not work but will this work? I don't like to mess with the registry and don't have experience with it. Did I answer my own question?

LW . . . Lawrence
IP IP Logged
Handsome-Hal
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 06 Feb 2009
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 7
Quote Handsome-Hal Replybullet Posted: 09 Feb 2009 at 8:18am
I cannot use Crystal 9 on my extended desktop, only on the main desktop.  If I try move it to the extended desktop and add any item or copy and paste any item, CR crashes.

The only thing that is allowed to be in my extended desktop while the main window is on my main desktop is the formula editor window without crashing CR.
If i start to drag an item from the main desktop and accidentally cross the extended desktop boundary just a bit, then CR crashes. I even did a complete rebuild and reinstall to see if I could correct this problem, but it is inherent in Crystal 9 to crash when certain modules cross into the  extended desktop region.
IP IP Logged
mmrupp
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 02 Apr 2009
Location: Germany
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1
Quote mmrupp Replybullet Posted: 02 Apr 2009 at 6:37am
Go to the registry
HKCU\Software\Business Objects\Suite xx\Crystal Reports\ResizableDialogs
And modify those values, which looks a little bit to great to something smaller and you will see your masks...

Michael
IP IP Logged
panacea911
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 17 Jan 2013
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1
Quote panacea911 Replybullet Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 5:10am
The value I am seeing for database location is 2176,253,3058,860
What do you think it should be changed to?  What do these numbers represent?
Big%20smile
I found this info later which fixed the problem I was having not being able to see the Group Expert, the Set Database Location and the Set Parameter Order.

X coordinate from top left corner

Y coordinate from top left corner

X width (in pixels?)

Y width (in pixels?)

The smallest X and Y width values allowed were 656 and 485 respectively.

Moving the dialog box to the far right (onto the second monitor) just increased the X coordinate value.

Closing the dialog box and setting the values to 0,0,656,485 worked as expected and moved and resized to the top left corner of the primary monitory.

 


Edited by panacea911 - 17 Jan 2013 at 5:46am
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum