Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Pushing a value into a blank field on a report Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
Brat
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 21 Jun 2008
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 5
Quote Brat Replybullet Topic: Pushing a value into a blank field on a report
     Posted: 03 Sep 2008 at 5:27pm

I am running a report that is sorted at two levels and totaled up at the second level.  The problem I have is there are records where there is a value in the first group but blank in the second group.  When the report is run, I get a blank in the column and the total next to it.  I tried to write a fomula that states that if the field is blank or null, then move the value "Unspecified" into the report.  I still get a blank when I run the report.  Any ideas on how to do this.  Thanks

IP IP Logged
dfolzenlogen
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2008
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 36
Quote dfolzenlogen Replybullet Posted: 07 Sep 2008 at 8:21pm

Brat --

You might take a look at Select Case statements (pages 293 and 633 of Brian Bischof's book: Crystal Reports Encyclopedia, Volume 1).  I'm not a programmer but I've had some success by using a formula that refers to the field that I want to "label" using some other name.  Then replace the field with the formula in my report. 

Formula Example:
Select {FieldName}  //name of field with blanks
    case "": "Unspecified" //if field is null then value is "Unspecified"
    Default : {Fieldname};;  //else default value is field value


Edited by dfolzenlogen - 07 Sep 2008 at 8:24pm
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum