|
How do I lock a section so that it always starts printing at say, 6" down the page. An example of this would be when needing to print an address in the same position on the page so it shows through the window envelope.
I see the Lock Position and Size checkbox on the Common tab of the Format Editor for a field. The position only seems to refer to it's position within that section, not the whole report. If I have only one section I suppose Lock Position and Size would work but that is not a desirable solution.
Thanks, Cayce Crystal Reports 9
|
|
Well, an important part of the answer is, what is being printed above the "locked" section? Generally, the sorts of things that affect where an object prints on the page is how many instances of group and detail sections printed since the last time the page break was reset, and any sections that are designed to grow.
The first is generally solved by specifically resetting the page break for each record (or, depending on your scenario, each group). In the Section Expert, you can specify the New Page Before and New Page After properties to force a page break.
The second is generally solved by not having any sections above the fixed text that can grow. You can put a text box on the same section that can grow (e.g., putting the entire return address in one text box, so that it is sized appropriately with no blank lines). It will grow down without pushing anything below it. However, if it is in a different section, that section will grow to fit.
If this is becoming an issue, you may look into underlaying the previous sections. This is generally done with things like watermarks, to create an image behind all the text. But, it might be feasible for this kind of formatting as well.
|
|
Thank you for your response. Everything is to print on one page only, so forcing a page break is not desirable going to help in this case.
There can be some amount of variance (2-5 lines) in what prints above the locked section. Just enough to throw things off. It is not without effort but the best thing is probably to change everything so that it can not grow. That means I'll need to combine some field blocks that are in different sections and dynamically grow/collapse.
I was hoping to hear of a more elegant solution but will give this a try.
I will try the underlay too and the more I think about it, that might do it.
Thanks, Cayce
|