Joined: 15 May 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2
Topic: NOTE field Posted: 15 May 2008 at 8:19am
I am trying to display a NOTE field in my report but am getting presented with strings such as 070712153167 and 48E88D8D0000. Can anyone steer me in the right direction as to what I am doing wrong? I am not technically minded however so please put any responses in layman's terms!
Joined: 14 Nov 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 377
Posted: 16 May 2008 at 5:43am
At a guess, it looks like you are either getting a raw feed of binary data (e.g., an image), or what you are displaying is actually a link to an external table that stores large text fields (a practice recommended by some experts).
IMHO, your best option is to ask your DBA what kind of field you are dealing with, and how to appropriately bring it into the report. Given that we don't know your application, and you are "not technically minded," this discussion here is likely to be a lot of shots in the dark, hoping to find a target.
Joined: 15 May 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2
Posted: 16 May 2008 at 6:07am
Thank you for replying. I did think that I was asking a lot without giving much information up front - I don't know the application well enough to know what people need to know to help me out!
Good news though - I dug up an old report which displays the field I need and it turns out it's in a totally different table which appears to be missing from my documented schema!
Joined: 14 Nov 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 377
Posted: 19 May 2008 at 6:12am
What? An improperly documented schema? I'm shocked. Shocked, I tell you. I've never seen the like in my life! (And I can assure you that all of my schema are thoroughly, properly, and accurately documented. Yes sirree....)
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot create polls in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum