Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Searching a table by names Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
yellowsub
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 01 May 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1
Quote yellowsub Replybullet Topic: Searching a table by names
     Posted: 01 May 2008 at 2:28pm
Hello,
 
I have a data table that I need to search for exact words.  It's an SLX data table called "TEXTBLOB" containing the email with heading, subject and body.
 
I'm trying to search for names in this "lastname, firstname" format and want to make sure I'm doing it right.
 
I'm using the Like function cause  didn't seem to produce any results and I have to use the wildcard function but want to make sure i'm not returning more results
 
Example. {HISTORY.LONGNOTES} like ["Jones, Bob"] won't return anything but {HISTORY.LONGNOTES} like ["*Jones, Bob*"] returns results.
 
Some names appear like Jones Jr., Bob where I need to put the wildcards to find it.
 
Is this the best way to search for names like that?
 
Thanks,
Harvey
 
 
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2458
Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 01 May 2008 at 10:23pm
You can put the wildcard in the middle of the string as well:
"Jones*, Bob"

I cover how to create formulas and use wildcards in chapter 4 of my Encyclopedia book. You can find out more about my books at Amazon.com or reading the Crystal Reports eBooks online.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum