Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Pass parameter values from Main to Sub report Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
samshaw
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 15 Apr 2008
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1
Quote samshaw Replybullet Topic: Pass parameter values from Main to Sub report
     Posted: 15 Apr 2008 at 8:33am
Hello All,
 
Hope all is well. I am a newbie to Crystal reports. I am kinda stuck here...I am trying to Link parameter of a Main to the Parameter of the Sub Report. But for some reasons, I dont see parameters of the Sub report in the drop down of linking option , when I try to link parameter of the main report to sub reports.
 
So I tried to create a formula in the sub report, which were nothing but
=(Parameter of Sub Report), now formual of child report do show up in drop down list when trying to link main report parameter....but the problem is when I link main report parameter to the Formula , then formula is actually evaluated at the report level....for example country='us' at report level as oppose to it being in SQL level.
 
I am sure missing something obvious, appreciate your help on this.
 
Thanks in advance,
 
Sam


Edited by samshaw - 15 Apr 2008 at 8:51am
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2458
Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 15 Apr 2008 at 2:44pm
Is the parameter a memo field? CR can't link to memo fields so you have to trick it by wrapping it within a formula. So this is probably what is happening with you. Also, since you are using a formula to link them together, you can't filter the data at the database level because CR has to process the formula on the client side.

I cover many problems that crop up with subreports and how to get around them in Chapter 9 of my book. You can find out more about my books at Amazon.com or reading the Crystal Reports eBooks online.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum