Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Data type treated differently Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
MikeJL
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 18 Sep 2015
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2
Quote MikeJL Replybullet Topic: Data type treated differently
     Posted: 20 Sep 2015 at 10:16pm
Hi all,

I have a data field that contains the reference "FTL123456 and "FTL654321"

I have 2 versions of Crystal reports, and both of them recognise this field as a currency datatype, however

Version XI requires the field to be treated as a String in formulas, whereas version 2011 requires it to be treated as a number or currency amount, which seems correct for the datatype.

I have 2 questions -

Why are they recognised as currency? Being Alphanumeric I'd have thought they'd be a string

Why do the two different versions require the field to be treated differently?

Many thanks,

Mike
Possible clueless mutterings above.
IP IP Logged
kevlray
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 29 Oct 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1587
Quote kevlray Replybullet Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 5:52am
Never ran into this.  I have had odd issues where the ODBC version would interpret the data differently.  What is your data source?
IP IP Logged
MikeJL
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 18 Sep 2015
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2
Quote MikeJL Replybullet Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 9:28pm
My data sources are .txt files extracted from our accounting system
Possible clueless mutterings above.
IP IP Logged
kevlray
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 29 Oct 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1587
Quote kevlray Replybullet Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 4:25am
I have not used .txt as a data source in recent history.  Not sure what engine Crystal Reports uses to ID the data.  Other than having a formula detect the data type (i.e. isnumeric), I am not sure of a solution.
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum