| Author |
Message |
Kitty1
Senior Member
Joined: 14 Apr 2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 159
|

Topic: Combining Bar Codes Posted: 15 May 2015 at 2:42am |
|
Hi,
I am writing a report with bar codes in it. I have three separate fields. I would like to combine them all into one, but with something that works like an enter key in between each field, so that one bar code could be scanned instead of three separate ones. Does anyone know how this could be done??? I have been able to combine the 3 barcodes, but they come out on 3 separate lines and cannot be scanned as one.
|
IP Logged |
|
|
|
Erik
Groupie
Joined: 05 Dec 2013
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 50
|

Posted: 18 May 2015 at 7:08am |
|
Barcodes have Start and Stop characters so the scanner knows where beginning and end are.
I don't think it's possible for a scanner to beep more than once with a single trigger pull, and if that is true then you would also only want one Start and one Stop character per barcode. Otherwise the scanner could get confused with how to identify the barcode.
My first thought was to include your carraige returns (or tab potentially depending on what you are scanning into) in the actual barcode value instead of having Crystal do it for you, which would require an extended barcode font to interpret those types of characters, but this may also not be possible as my barcode font appears to place a Stop character if I use a tab or a carraige return.
Edited by Erik - 18 May 2015 at 7:12am
|
IP Logged |
|
Kitty1
Senior Member
Joined: 14 Apr 2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 159
|

Posted: 18 May 2015 at 8:06am |
|
Hi, and thanks for your reply! I know it is possible to combine the barcodes in ACCESS into one field. one of my former co-workers did that. That's why I was curious if it could be done in Crystal. I have tried so many different things, i'm beginning to think it's impossible. Thanks again for your reply! :)
|
IP Logged |
|
Erik
Groupie
Joined: 05 Dec 2013
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 50
|

Posted: 19 May 2015 at 5:52am |
|
You should technically be able to put all 3 barcodes on a single line. Whether or not they will be scannable is another question.
A little more information would be helpful.
How are you getting the barcodes into your report initially? Are you using a local barcode font in a textbox within Crystal, or are they coming from a database value, or some other method?
Have you considered trying to concatenate them with a formula?
|
IP Logged |
|
|
|