| Author |
Message |
hmatyas
Newbie
Joined: 23 Jan 2008
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 6
|

Topic: Dot Leaders Posted: 23 Jan 2008 at 7:18pm |
Hi
I'm just started out with Crystal Reports XI. I have the book Crystal Reports Encyclopedia (I'm on Chapter 3). My question is on dot leaders. Kind of what is in Word for the indexes. How can I do the following?
Water consumption . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .50.0
Well consumption . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1051.0
Total consumption . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1101.0
I found out how to format for one decimal place, I do not know how to do the dot leader. I know I can just add dots, but I would like it to vary based on the size of the number. I will also use it at the bottom of the report for the cost of the water.
Thank you.
|
|
Harvey
|
IP Logged |
|
|
|
Lugh
Senior Member
Joined: 14 Nov 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 377
|

Posted: 24 Jan 2008 at 4:28am |
|
Here is, IMHO, the simplest solution.
Create a text box that is nothing but dots, stretching across the entire details section. Right-click on it, and Move it to the back. Put your existing text boxes on top of the dot box. Right-click on the text boxes, and go to Format Field. Under the Border tab, select Tight Horizontal. This will shrink your text boxes to fit the field value. This will expose all the dots between the text boxes.
|
IP Logged |
|
hmatyas
Newbie
Joined: 23 Jan 2008
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 6
|

Posted: 24 Jan 2008 at 11:50am |
To Lugh
I did what I thought you told me to do. However, I can see the periods through the words. It appears to work properly by the numbers but not the text field.
Thanks for your reply and I showed your reply to someone and they thought that it was an excellant idea to solve my problem.
|
|
Harvey
|
IP Logged |
|
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2458
|

Posted: 24 Jan 2008 at 12:21pm |
Hmmm... I thought Lugh's idea was pretty good too. I would modify this
idea slightly. Create a formula which has the the last field you are
printing and concatenate the dots next to it.
{table.description} + ReplicateString(".", 100)Stretch
out all the across the row and set it 'Move to Back' like you did
earlier. This will put the dots immediately after the description and
have them extend out to the numeric field.
|
|
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
|
IP Logged |
|
sp_412000@yahoo
Newbie
Joined: 24 Feb 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 12
|

Posted: 24 Feb 2008 at 6:18pm |
The second answer works fro the text, but still I can see the dots under the numbers. Please help me.
|
IP Logged |
|
rahulwalawalkar
Senior Member
Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 731
|

Posted: 26 Feb 2008 at 12:56am |
Hi ,
Please post what you see in ur report..........
Cheers
Rahul
|
IP Logged |
|
sp_412000@yahoo
Newbie
Joined: 24 Feb 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 12
|

Posted: 26 Feb 2008 at 12:40pm |
|
the dots underneath the number on the right hand side. please help me. i'm really stuck
|
IP Logged |
|
dfolzenlogen
Newbie
Joined: 23 Feb 2008
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 36
|

Posted: 26 Feb 2008 at 1:34pm |
Hi Harvey --
I tried the formula Brian proposed and set the field to the width of the page as he mentioned. I then placed the field containing the page number/numeric info over the the dot leader field. I right clicked on the page number/numeric field, selected "Format Field" ==>"Border" and set Background to white. There are no longer any dot leaders behind my numbers. Of course, if your background is something other than white, you would format the background of the field to that color.
You might want to give that a try.
Dixie
|
IP Logged |
|
sp_412000@yahoo
Newbie
Joined: 24 Feb 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 12
|

Posted: 26 Feb 2008 at 3:38pm |
If I add all together then it's working. But the final kick for the goal was the advice of dfolzenlogen to set the background. Thanks so much to all of you. And big thanks to dfolzenlogen. You guys are great.!!! awesome!!!
|
IP Logged |
|
|
|