Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Daily Growth Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
Author Message
Dr4ke
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 09 May 2014
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 209
Quote Dr4ke Replybullet Topic: Daily Growth
     Posted: 07 Oct 2014 at 6:21am
Hi All,

I am collecting statistics for a machine at a set interval (say every 15 minutes). What I would like to do is to establish a Daily Growth figure from the reporting data (which will become a parameter).

Does anybody have any good methods for this?
IP IP Logged
hello
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 05 Feb 2014
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 85
Quote hello Replybullet Posted: 08 Oct 2014 at 4:19am
What kind of "machine"? A computer?

Maybe create a DOS batch file that contacts the computer every 15 minutes. The batch file could be kicked off with scheduled tasks in the Windows task manager.
IP IP Logged
Dr4ke
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 09 May 2014
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 209
Quote Dr4ke Replybullet Posted: 08 Oct 2014 at 5:01am
Sorry I think the question has been misunderstood; I am already collecting the data (Disk Size, Disk Used etc) every 15 minutes.

What I was asking is the best way to portray this in Crystal Reports and show daily growth based on a Daily 'Disk Used' figure.
IP IP Logged
Dr4ke
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 09 May 2014
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 209
Quote Dr4ke Replybullet Posted: 08 Oct 2014 at 5:17am
To Expand further; I have Grouped the date field on a 'daily' basis which provides the following used column:

first date - 50
second date - 51
third date - 53
fourth date -48

What I want to do is work out the difference in figures from this group:

first date - 50
second date - 51 - 1
third date - 53 - 2
fourth date -48 - -(minus) 5

hope that makes more sense.
IP IP Logged
z9962
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 161
Quote z9962 Replybullet Posted: 08 Oct 2014 at 9:58pm
Try using a running total... Think this will be best bet.
IP IP Logged
Dr4ke
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 09 May 2014
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 209
Quote Dr4ke Replybullet Posted: 08 Oct 2014 at 10:09pm
I have tried a few different combinations of a running total to try and get this to work but it doesn't seem to work in a Group Header; only in the details section.

Any ideas?
IP IP Logged
z9962
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 161
Quote z9962 Replybullet Posted: 08 Oct 2014 at 10:32pm
this formula will do it...
 
shared numbervar p;
shared numbervar c;
local numbervar r;

c:=Sum ({numberfield}, {Datefield}, "daily");
r:= c-p;
p:= Sum ({numberfield}, {Datefield}, "daily");
if groupnumber =1 then 0 else r;
IP IP Logged
Dr4ke
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 09 May 2014
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 209
Quote Dr4ke Replybullet Posted: 08 Oct 2014 at 10:45pm
That is doing something but it's not giving the right results and is coming up with the below:

75,091.98 -- 0.00
75,072.38 -- -5,643.65
75,268.66 -- 56,528.22
75,855.41 -- 168,983.61

When I am expecting

75,091.98 -- 0.00
75,072.38 -- -19.6
75,268.66 -- 196.28
75,855.41 -- 586.75

I'm actually quite confused by your formula so I can't even make a variation of it; looking at it I would be expecting every result to be 0 as "r:= c-p;" and c & p are the same formula...

And I'm not sure what r is doing :-S

IP IP Logged
z9962
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 161
Quote z9962 Replybullet Posted: 08 Oct 2014 at 11:07pm
r=result, c=current, p=previous. its the order of the formula that makes this work.
you could change p:=c;
 
Are putting this formula in the date group?
 
the 75091.98 etc is just summing a particular field?
 
IP IP Logged
Dr4ke
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 09 May 2014
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 209
Quote Dr4ke Replybullet Posted: 08 Oct 2014 at 11:12pm
Sorry no that (p:=c;) still shows the same results.

By order of the formula do you mean because p is after the calculation (r) it will show the previous result?

The formula is in the Group Header which is Date (by day).

the numbers shown (75091.98 etc) is the size of the disk in question, in MB. Sorry for not explaining that.
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum