Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: table totals? Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
cbaldwin
Groupie
Groupie


Joined: 09 Apr 2014
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 81
Quote cbaldwin Replybullet Topic: table totals?
     Posted: 14 Aug 2014 at 5:43am
I have a pivot table that lists row totals appropriately but does not list column totals appropriately. The Column total field appears to be using the last column entry as opposed to the total of all column entries?

I am clueless.
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 14 Aug 2014 at 8:01am
do you mean a crosstab?
IP IP Logged
cbaldwin
Groupie
Groupie


Joined: 09 Apr 2014
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 81
Quote cbaldwin Replybullet Posted: 14 Aug 2014 at 8:12am
My bad...
Yes I mean a cross tab. Also to further define my problem. It is the individual column total fields that are displaying the last value greater than 0 in the column. Interestingly enough the Grand total for columns is working correctly. I would attach an image but don't seem to be able to copy and paste here.
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 14 Aug 2014 at 9:09am
Are you using a Running total as the summarized Field in the CT?
if not what is the field you are summarizing and what is the summarization type you are using?
IP IP Logged
cbaldwin
Groupie
Groupie


Joined: 09 Apr 2014
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 81
Quote cbaldwin Replybullet Posted: 14 Aug 2014 at 11:14am
I am using a Running Total as the summarized field. The summation type that I am using is distinct count.

example of what I see

        column1   column2 total
group1     4        2       6
group2     1        0       1
group3     0        3       3
===============================
total      1        3       10

All of my numbers are good except for the total numbers for column1 and column2      

I hope this may provide more info.
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 15 Aug 2014 at 3:23am
may I ask why you are using a RT instead of just letting the CT summarize the field as a distinct count?
IP IP Logged
cbaldwin
Groupie
Groupie


Joined: 09 Apr 2014
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 81
Quote cbaldwin Replybullet Posted: 15 Aug 2014 at 5:34am
That is a good question for which I do not have a good answer. I am a relatively new Crystal Report writer.
Suggestions?
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 15 Aug 2014 at 5:54am
unless you are using some other evaluation condition (usually in a RT that is under the evaluate section and the 'use a formula' option is selected and the conditions entered there) stick with the summary functions (e.g. sum, count, distinctcount, etc). These are available in the CT by inserting the field you want to summarize into the 'summarized fields' window and selecting the type of summary using the 'change summary' button.
teh summary function results are created in the first data pass, may be pushed to the server for calculating so they are more efficient and they are not as contingent on the grouping structure in the report.
RTs (or shared variable formula's) offer greater flexibility and fine tuning of when or what to evaluate on but happen in a later data pass and are very dependant on the grouping and sorting in the report.
You can create a CT and alter the grouping within it completely independent of how the dat ais grouped in the report. If you insert a RT into that CT though, the RT values are dependent on the Reprrt structure so the numbers can easily get out of whack in the CT.


Edited by DBlank - 15 Aug 2014 at 6:54am
IP IP Logged
cbaldwin
Groupie
Groupie


Joined: 09 Apr 2014
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 81
Quote cbaldwin Replybullet Posted: 15 Aug 2014 at 6:19am
Thank you.

I will alter my approach in this report and keep that in mind in the future. Unfortunately my available time to work on this report has taken a back seat to more urgent issues today. So I will not be able to provide further feedback on your advice at this time. Thank you in advance for your time and help though.

CJB
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum