Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Change Field Source on Report Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
kris10l
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 12 Apr 2013
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 15
Quote kris10l Replybullet Topic: Change Field Source on Report
     Posted: 02 Jan 2014 at 6:29am
Working in Crystal Reports 2008
 
I have a report already created that has fields sourced from dataset A.  I need to be able to use it to create a similar report with information from dataset B.  I have created a copy of the report and associated dataset B to the report.  I want to be able to change the existing fields to source from dataset B.  Is there a way to do this WITHOUT having to remove and recreate the field on the report?
 
I have experience using MSAccess and through the Field Properties I am able to change the Control Source of a field on a report without having to recreate the field.  Hoping there is a way to do this in Crystal.  Will save tremendous amount of time in formatting and placement.
 
Appreciate any help!
 
-kris10l
IP IP Logged
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 5:09am
sometimes, the report will ask you to map the fields, but that is usually when fields are added or deleted from the existing datasource.

if the schema of the datasources is the same, verify database will usually update one source to another.

changing datasources is always a pain...

I got used to creating reports that actually didn't read a datasource, so this became a moot point. if your report is called from an application, you can have the application gather the data and send it to the report...then the report never knows or cares where the data comes from. It is the ADO.Net connection, which is basically an XML file (and for designing, include the schema)

HTH

IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum