Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: CMC Printer List Question [Name vs Connection] Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
statey603
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 14 Aug 2013
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 78
Quote statey603 Replybullet Topic: CMC Printer List Question [Name vs Connection]
     Posted: 06 Nov 2013 at 3:55am
I am trying to configure Network Printers on our Crystal Server (BOE: Business Objects Enterprise 14.1.0).
 
I am configuring the Network Printers via Central Management Console.
CMC - Applications - Crystal Reports Configuration - Printer List.
 
There are 2 fields needed for each printer:
 Printer Name 
 Printer Connection  
My assumption was that the Printer Name field would be for a descriptive name for the users to see and the Printer Connection would be the UNC ServerName\PrinterName so Crystal can communicate with the printer.
 
I initially entered a short descriptive name in the Printer Name field and the UNC name (ServerName\PrinterName) in the Printer Connection field. When I tried to schedule and print a report to the printer I configured, it failed. Next, I put the UNC name in the Printer Name field and this fixed it - (printing succeeded). Next, I tried entering the short descriptive name into the Printer Connection field, but printing failed again. I also tried entering just the PrinterName part of the UNC in the Printer Name field, but this also resulted in a printing failure.
 
So it seems that both of these fields need the UNC name. Seems a bit redundant. The dropdown box to Specify Printer when setting up a schedule instance has a limited width and now the users cannot differentiate between similar named printers because the ServerName\PrinterName is truncated in the dropdown. 
 
Perhaps I am missing something.
 
Does anyone know what the difference between the 2 Printer fields (Printer Name,  Printer Connection  ) is?
 
Thanks.
 


Edited by statey603 - 06 Nov 2013 at 3:57am
-bill
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum