Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: SUM Question Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
bwsanders
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 05 Sep 2012
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 177
Quote bwsanders Replybullet Topic: SUM Question
     Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 4:38am
I have a 401k export file that I'm working on and have to use variables to build the report and show it in the footer. What I'm running into is when I try to sum a numeric field I get "This field cannot be summarized". I'm not sure why since the formula is pretty basic.

If {checkDate} = {@CheckDate} AND {detCode} IN SHARED StringVar Array Earnings Then
   {amount}

Does anyone have any work around or ideas on how to get this to work?

Thank you!
IP IP Logged
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 5:02am
you will have to sum the values yourself using variables.

At the time that the report is formatted, it does not know what is in the Shared Array...the array is only populated at report display time...which is after the aggregate function like SUM have been calculated.

So my work around would be to increment a variable for the amount at the same time you populating the array. If the only thing you are using the string array in the report is for the summarization, I would just increment the sum variable and not worry about the string array...

HTH
IP IP Logged
bwsanders
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 05 Sep 2012
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 177
Quote bwsanders Replybullet Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 5:18am
Thank you, I have to use the array as it's the only way to truly access the information since it's stored in an odd way. I guess I'm a bit confused on how to use a variable to sum a variable. For instance the above formula is for the field "DeferredSalary" and I use the variable DefSal to build the amount for each record as the report is running. So I have it like this

Header: shared stringvar DefSal := "";
Details: shared stringvar DefSal := DefSal + {@DeferredSalary}
Footer: shared stringvar DefSal;

when I try to sum the field inside the formula like this:
If {checkDate} = {@CheckDate} AND {detCode} IN SHARED StringVar Array Earnings Then
   Sum({amount}, {ssn})

the numbers come out waaaaaay to high. but if I look at what it's actually pulling it's pulling the correct numbers but seems to be summing the field for everyone instead of each employee.

when I try to sum the variable that is when I'm getting this field cannot be summarized. I'm just a bit stuck at the moment I guess.

I appreciate your help!


IP IP Logged
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 5:27am
I am assuming by the code that there is a grouping on ssn.

I've never used an if statement like yours, what I usually do is:

SHARED StringVar Array Earnings;
If {checkDate} = {@CheckDate} AND {detCode} IN Earnings Then
   Sum({amount}, {ssn})

Try that...perhaps that will work...

Another idea, and this is just basic debugging for CR.
make a formula like:
SHARED StringVar Array Earnings;
{detCode} IN Earnings

this way you will 'see' if every string is in the array...at least according to CR.
Without knowing the data, it's a bit of sleuthing to figure out what CR is seeing vs how you THINK it is seeing the data.

HTH
IP IP Logged
bwsanders
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 05 Sep 2012
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 177
Quote bwsanders Replybullet Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 5:33am
yeah i hear you. my array is actually in a sub report. i can see all the data is in the sub report and it all gets passed over it's just for some reason the sum isn't working. it's weird to me. 
IP IP Logged
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 5:39am
obviously to check you could write the formula:
sum(amount,ssn)
if that amount is the same as the initial formula, then it would seem that ssn has an issue. If it working correctly, then just more confusion.

IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum