Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Create a template report Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
stevbren
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 33
Quote stevbren Replybullet Topic: Create a template report
     Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 4:13am
We have an Excel report that is the same format everytime that is run from a DB I can't connect to (security issue. I create a report in Crystal 2011 from this excel sheet that people liked, but I can't figure out how to use the same thing each week without creating a new report.
I did a lot of work on the report after using the report template that I do not want to recreate each time.
Thank you,
Steve
IP IP Logged
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 4:56am
it's just a matter of saving the report with the correct ending in the same directory as all the other templates...sorry I don't know the path off the top of my head...I only did it once years ago. (I only needed 1 template). I am not sure that you can save tables and layouts in a template...ok, let me modify that. I am not sure that you can save a layout that is data related. You can save a basic layout of text objects and probably formulas, as long as they don't reference any data.

As a work around, open your existing report, modify what you need and do a save as. Depending on what changes, there shouldn't be too many changes.

Worse case is a change in datatables, but what I would do...and this becomes tedious, but it could be worse...is add the new table, drag the fields to where you want them, use the painter to format the cells the same, then align them to be the same size and location as the original cell and then delete the original.

As I type, another solution comes to mind, but I don't know if they are still in business, I believe the RPT INSPECTOR can do the data modification without the hassle...it's at least something to look into.

HTH
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum