Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Where to start Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
lonh
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 08 Jul 2013
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 11
Quote lonh Replybullet Topic: Where to start
     Posted: 25 Aug 2013 at 1:57pm
I am a newbie just got CR installed for vb.net 2010. Could someone please tell me where to start at. I do not have a clue were to begin. Are there any good tutorials or books out there. I purchased Brains Bischof book Crystal Reports Encyclopedia .net 2005/2008. Its has not
helped me at all. lots of reading.   

Thanks you
Poppy Lon
IP IP Logged
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 26 Aug 2013 at 4:40am
usually people start by adding a Crystal Report to their project.

The 'simplest' reports connect directly to the database using either OBDC or OLE connection...create one on your machine. Create a connection in the report using the one you created for the machine. You should be able to see your database and select some tables (under dbo usually) link them together in the link screen, then drag and drop the fields. I think that you need to create Cystal Reports Viewer to view the results of report after you tell your application to create it.

While I don't have the .net book, I would expect this is laid out by Brian. I do have his Crystal Reports book, just not the .net.

For an alternative, you could have your application connect to your database, retrieve the data and then 'set' the datasource for a report (this simplifies the connection issues)...but to design the report you need to stop/code the application to write out your dataset to XML file and to use the ADO.Net connection in designing the report. The rest is the same, linking if you need to, and displaying the report.

I know it's vague, I'm sure that Brian has covered it, just some pointers/idea of the path.

HTH
IP IP Logged
Sastry
Moderator
Moderator
Avatar

Joined: 16 Jul 2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 537
Quote Sastry Replybullet Posted: 26 Aug 2013 at 4:42am
Hi

Also check the following URL


http://www.w3schools.com/


Thanks,
Sastry
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum