Originally posted by DBlankyou do not create the link/join in a formula.
You can add the new table to the report and join/link it on the field you need to. Since not all vendors will have a matching record in this new table make sure to out join then so you will eb selectng all fioeld from your current vendor table.
in the report you can add a that data as you desire and conditionally suppress the secion if you need to
isnull(newtable.vendorid)
Hmmm..not sure I'm able to apply this to what I'm doing but as mentioned I'm a newbie.
Maybe if I expand on this or am more specific.
Basically (insofar as vendor info is concerned) this Crystal Report is fed by our PO table (gpo). So a record (an individual PO) in our GPO table has among other things the "primary" vendor info (name, address, etc) for the specific Purchase order and this is includes the vendors "vendorkey."
(When a PO is created by the user and thusly a record in the GPO table it pulls the primary vendor info from our VENDOR table and it becomes part of the record.)
What I've done is actually add the VENDOR table to the Crystal Report joining to the GPO table on vendorkey.
When a PO is printed from our system for a given ISBN (we're a book publisher) the vendor that was assigned to the PO by the user populates in the "Vendor" part of the PO. Name, address, etc.
So what I think I want to do is to produce a section for a "Payee" (which is just another vendor associated with the primary) by referencing the record for the PO...specifically the "vendorkey"...look it up so to speak in the newly added VENDOR table....see if there is a value in that records "paytovendorkey" field and then use that key (which is actually a vendor key) to look up this second vendor in the VENDOR table and populate it's name, address, etc.
Hope that clarifies rather than obscures what I'm trying to do.
Edited by pjewett - 25 Mar 2013 at 5:31am