This is a general CR adoption question but I couldn't find a suitable forum for it so I hope you don't mind my putting it here.
We currently have CR 8.5 (the free version that came as part of MapInfo), but nobody here is skilled in using it. We have a local training provider who can provide training, but only in CR2008.
1. Would 2008 training be appropriate for use with 8.5?
2. Is 8.5 so outdated that we should look at mounting a cost-benefit case for moving to a newer version (this could prove impossible)?
By way of background, our organisation runs 3 internal relational databases, from which we need to run a wide variety of standard and ad hoc reports to retrieve all kinds of complex data and analyses. Our industry is fishing, so we need to be able to run things like catch statistics, demographic reports, effort calculations, client details, etc, etc.
Apologies again for the general nature of this inquiry, but I hope someone out there has the patience to give some very basic advice to a technical numpty.