Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Number Precision -- displaying more than 15 digits Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
Gesrix
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 19 Dec 2007
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2
Quote Gesrix Replybullet Topic: Number Precision -- displaying more than 15 digits
     Posted: 19 Dec 2007 at 11:24pm
I am using Crystal Reports XI.  I have a number type database(Oracle) field that contains 16 digits, example: 1234567890123456.  When viewed in Crystal Report designer, it is 123456789123460.  I already try to convert it to text using ToText function but same output.  Is this a bug? Is there a way to show it correctly?  Thank you!

Additional Infor: Oracle 10g and Crystal Reports XI is in Windows 2003.
IP IP Logged
Lugh
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 14 Nov 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 377
Quote Lugh Replybullet Posted: 21 Dec 2007 at 4:51am
Huh.  I swear I responded to this yesterday.  Apparently, the forum ate my post.

There is quite likely a limitation on the number of significant digits Crystal (or possibly even the ODBC layer) can handle.  I ran into a very similar problem trying to dump some Oracle data into Excel a while back.  The solution I came up with was to convert the data to text before taking it out of the Oracle database.  I.e., in whatever query you are using, use the TO_CHAR function on the field.  That way, Crystal will never treat it as a number.  (Just remember that numbers don't sort the same way as text, if you have numbers with varying numbers of digits.)


IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum