Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Compressing Summaries Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
yggdrasil
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 19 Jun 2007
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 150
Quote yggdrasil Replybullet Topic: Compressing Summaries
     Posted: 06 Dec 2007 at 4:32am
I have a very complicated report (written by someone else) that I am having to make changes to. At the heart of it is a formula that manipulates long strings and counts up occurrances of characters within them.  About 30 different characters are checked. 
After it has read all the records, it starts 'compressing summaries'. And then, more often than not, it crashes in the middle of that formula. (It isn't linked to any particular record, I've checked that. )
What does 'compressing summaries' do?  I can't debug this without knowing, as there is no obvious place that breaks it.Cry
Thanks in  advance for any help
IP IP Logged
Lugh
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 14 Nov 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 377
Quote Lugh Replybullet Posted: 07 Dec 2007 at 7:23am
It actually sounds like Crystal is running out of memory.  How exactly are you counting up the characters?  
IP IP Logged
yggdrasil
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 19 Jun 2007
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 150
Quote yggdrasil Replybullet Posted: 10 Dec 2007 at 1:37am
That's what I thought at first, but sometimes it deals with a lot of data (and time) successfully, and sometimes it falls over quite quickly. If it was a memory thing, it should run very slowly
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum