Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Multiple Subreports and Performance Issues Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
Yosteevo777
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 23 Apr 2012
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 33
Quote Yosteevo777 Replybullet Topic: Multiple Subreports and Performance Issues
     Posted: 11 Dec 2012 at 9:14am

I am using Crystal Reports 2008.

I have a report that is configured with multiple subreports that are linked to specific data groups within my database. I have about 100+ subreports within one main report.

This allows my laboratory to utilize one main report for all the various testing & reporting they do.

 

As I continue to add additional subreports to the configuration of this main report, it obviously slows down due to (most of the subreports making identical database queries)  -  returning similar/comparable results.

 

Since many of my subreport configurations are similar to each other, can I utilize one subreport for all configurations that utilize similar data graphs/layouts?

 

I tried using groups to sort the data by test group name so the similar testing groups would not get all mixed together. This did not work out and I could not get groups to effect subreports when the group is configured outside of the subreports.

 

 

Thanks for any help.

Stephen Waichulis

Stephen Waichulis
LIMS Database Administrator
IP IP Logged
bpmcnary
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 09 Dec 2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 17
Quote bpmcnary Replybullet Posted: 12 Dec 2012 at 1:16am
that's not going to work.. each report has its own group setup. so for instance, your main report could be grouped by one thing, but this would not carry over to your subreports.
 
the question to ask yourself is... is there any data which are similar in all of your subreports which you could use for your grouping? what SQL command is running to gather the data on your other subreports? how are you connecting to your database?
IP IP Logged
Yosteevo777
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 23 Apr 2012
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 33
Quote Yosteevo777 Replybullet Posted: 12 Dec 2012 at 6:38am
Thanks for the response,

I figured it out.
I simply needed to create single groups in the subreports that shared similar data layouts.

I then moved my cross-tabs, headers, & footers into the group's headers and footers.

This returned the result I was after.
The group filters by a database field that identifies what numerical line specified groups of testing is configured to within my LIMS database.


In short:
Now my separate groups of testing that use identical cross-tab layouts can all use one subreport vs using separate subreports that were only pointing to each group of specific testing.



Stephen
Stephen Waichulis
LIMS Database Administrator
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum