Yeah, it's a bunch of code all in one big chunk.
I personally like to write very consise code, but this does make it tough to see all the details.
I'll rewrite it here so that you can see the individual steps.
NumberVar DayEntered;
DateTimevar LastValidDate;
//Get which day of the week the job was entered.
//This formula returns 1 for Monday and 7 for Sunday
DayEntered := DayOfWeek({Job.Date-Entered},2);
//If this is Mon-Wed, then just add two days
if DayEntered <= 3 Then
LastValidDate := DateAdd("d", 2, {Job.Date-Entered});
//If this is a Thursday or Friday, then we need
// to add two extra days to bump it over the weekend.
if DayEntered >= 4 Then
LastValidDate := DateAdd("d", 4, {Job.Date-Entered});
//Now that we know what the last valid date is,
//see if the proof date comes after it.
if {@Proof Out} > LastValidDate Then "Late"
Once you understand this code, you can look at the original formula and see if it makes more sense now.
I cover all the Crystal Report date related functions on pages 255-261 in my book
Crystal Reports Encyclopedia