Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Performance CR vs Enterprise Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
z9962
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 161
Quote z9962 Replybullet Topic: Performance CR vs Enterprise
     Posted: 07 Oct 2012 at 10:46pm

Hello,

 

I have a very large report, connecting to a BEx query, via MDX.

 

If I run the report through Crystal Reports it takes about 35 Minutes to run

 

If I put the report on the Enterprise server and schedule the report it takes 40 minutes as a RPT file and 50 Minutes as a PDF.

 

Is this normal? In all the years that I have been working with Crystal it has always been quicker on the Enterprise server. I would normally say that the running it from my local machine would be worst case.

 

I know its not query speed as this is extremely fast.

 

It does use subreports, but I have made it as efficient as possible, and change I make to the report itself now makes it longer to run, not quicker.

 

I was wondering you thoughts about CR local vs Enterprise server.

 

Thanks

 

IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3702
Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 3:53am
Export to PDF is always going to take longer because the reporting engine has to render the PDF after running the report.
 
Which version of Crystal and BOE are you running?  The report could be running longer on Enterprise because there are other reports running at the same time.
 
-Dell
IP IP Logged
z9962
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 04 Jul 2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 161
Quote z9962 Replybullet Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 4:06am
Cr 2008 SP4
Enterprise XI
 
Would you expect though for the report to take 10 minutes longer to generate a PDF? To convert on my LM it takes about 3 minutes
I did a smaller test (8 pages) RPT took 36 seconds, PDF took 5 minutes.
 
The server been used is for UAT, and no other UAT is happening at the moment.
 
I do not have access to the server / admin side.  And the support team are use to Webi, so I need to instruct more what needs to happen.
 
Thanks
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3702
Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 4:12am
Crystal does a LOT of swapping to disk when it is generating a report or converting it to PDF.   So, the speed of a report can be very dependent on disk speed and i/o throughput.  It is also very dependent on the amount of RAM available.  Depending on how your UAT server is set up, this will affect the speed of the reports. 
 
-Dell


Edited by hilfy - 08 Oct 2012 at 4:13am
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum