I have a long database text field which has 5 characters at the start which I would like to make use of.
I have an Excel spreadsheet with 2 columns the 5 character code and a long description.
I'd like to link the first 5 characters of the long database field with the Excel spreadsheet so that I can use the description in the report.
I am quite an experienced Crystal report user but I am only really familiar with using the tool in its as presented format, i.e. I don't get into the SQL or insides of the tool.
In a situation where the code is a seperate field in the database I would just add a link in the database expert.
I hope someone has a simple approach to this question, my alternate approach is to create the field in the database for this use, but it strikes me that there should be another way.
Any help gratefully received.