Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Numbers Ascending-Decending Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
Richland2011
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 13 Oct 2011
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 5
Quote Richland2011 Replybullet Topic: Numbers Ascending-Decending
     Posted: 13 Oct 2011 at 8:22am
Hello Forum. Nice Place. Been reading and need an expert opinion.

I am feeding the report from an excel sheet with below example. Everything is looking good in my groups and multiple columns except the item number sorting.

I have been thru the GUI and have found nothing. Can anybody lend some advice as to sort this ascending. Do I need a formula for this?  Many Thanks for any input.

ITEM  DESCRIPTION  CATEGORY

3120  Description Category
3150  Description Category
3379  Description Category
552    Description Category
562    Description Category
6050  Description Category
6052  Description Category
608    Description Category
609    Description Category

---------

This would be ideal below example.

552
562
608
609
3120
3150
3379
6050
6052

IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 13 Oct 2011 at 9:33am
if item is text just convert it to numeric and then sort your records on the new formula field
tonumber(table.item)
 
note: you can still display the original text field if you want, just use the formula in the sort expert


Edited by DBlank - 13 Oct 2011 at 9:35am
IP IP Logged
Richland2011
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 13 Oct 2011
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 5
Quote Richland2011 Replybullet Posted: 13 Oct 2011 at 9:56am
Gotcha....Thanks DBlank. I am familiar with classic reporting in Microsoft Navision, so this is a bit of a curve for me. I appreciate it.
IP IP Logged
Richland2011
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 13 Oct 2011
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 5
Quote Richland2011 Replybullet Posted: 13 Oct 2011 at 10:10am
if I could trouble the group again....When a group is continued to the next column, is there a way to add a message at the last line continued...??

Maybe point me to a book on CR if you feel you are spoon feeding (Duh I forgot where I was). I taught myself this so far and have been stumped on just a couple things with no other IT associated in my company, I am stuck. Big Thanks Again.


Edited by Richland2011 - 13 Oct 2011 at 10:11am
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 13 Oct 2011 at 10:17am

Brians book on this site if you want a good reference and learning tool.

What are you grouping on?
You have the section expert set to use columns set to 'Down then Across' and with 'Format groups with multiple columns' as true? 
IP IP Logged
Richland2011
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 13 Oct 2011
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 5
Quote Richland2011 Replybullet Posted: 13 Oct 2011 at 10:50am
I am grouping on category and 'Down then Across' and with 'Format groups with multiple columns' as true?

I think I will order the book. I received Crystal-String-Functions and will read a bit later tonight.


IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 13 Oct 2011 at 11:13am
There is no easy way to do what you want (that I am aware of).
I have seen extremely convoluted ways of trying to measure the height of each row/section printing on the page (column) and using that in determining when the first column will end. based on that a calculation (usually a shared variable resetiing on page change) a text field (usually in detail b section) will be hidden (99% or rows) or shown.
IMO this is a ton of work for little value and is not fool proof to work as intended through out the entire report. If it is a want vs a need don't bother with it.
Consider an alternative...
columns 'across then down' with 'group format' set to FALSE.
In the group expert,
select the group
select options
mark 'repeat group header on each page' as true
right click on the group header field
select format field
select common tab
display string formual button
currentfieldvalue + (if inrepeatedgroupheader then ' (cont.)')
 
IP IP Logged
Richland2011
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 13 Oct 2011
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 5
Quote Richland2011 Replybullet Posted: 13 Oct 2011 at 11:39am
DBlank...Thank you for the explanation. It is a want not a need. I ran the report by my superior and it was approved for production as is. Thanks for the pointers. Much appreciated.
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum